Good 9cheap) In-Ear phones for use with Karma?
Jan 25, 2005 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

pineapples10

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up a Rio Karma and am looking to get some good (albeit moderately priced) In Ear Phones to use with it unamped. I am looking to spend less than $100 or so, so im not looking for anyting that will BLOW MY MIND. So far im considering the Shure E2C, Etymotic ER6 (provided I can find some for fairly cheap), SONY MDREX71SL. Im leaning towards the E2C's as those seem to be the best price/performance ratio ($64 from buy.com) Im open to suggestions, so if any of you have any thoughts they would be appreciated
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 30
All those sound like good choices. I have the er-6i's and if you can find a deal in your price range (not too hard hopefully) I fully recommend them. Bass might be a little weak for some unamped, but it's there. Another suggestion might be the Sharp HP MD33S's for 39.99 + shipping at AudioCubes; upgradeitis is pretty big around here so those might be too far down the chain, but there are plenty of positive reviews rating them on level/near the er-6 and e2's etc.

Jan 25, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Legacy 163
All those sound like good choices. I have the er-6i's and if you can find a deal in your price range (not too hard hopefully) I fully recommend them. Bass might be a little weak for some unamped, but it's there. Another suggestion might be the Sharp HP MD33S's for 39.99 + shipping at AudioCubes; upgradeitis is pretty big around here so those might be too far down the chain, but there are plenty of positive reviews rating them on level/near the er-6 and e2's etc.

I did some searching around here, and it seems to me that the general concensus is that the MD33's > E2C. The fact that they are also cheaper may make my decision that much easier
icon10.gif
. Are the Er6i's better than the Er-6? What are the main differences?

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 30
Im happy with my e2c + creative Muvo. Highs are recessed, I boost 16K by 3-4db and 4K by 2-3db and it works great.

I wanted max isolation so I chose the 2c over the md33.

Im listening to dreamtheater live @ budukan on my e2c as I type this. Love how they project Petruccis Mesa overdrive tones.. very non-fatigue-ing signature IMHO.

Garrett

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 30
How about Westone EM-1's, they're just sub $100 and have a very nice silver cable (better than the Etys).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by easypeasy
How about Westone EM-1's, they're just sub $100 and have a very nice silver cable (better than the Etys).
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone else have an opinion on these? Right now im actually leaning towards the Sharp MD33's as they are affordable and most say they offer comparable if not better sound than the E2C's.

Jan 26, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 30
unless your looking for a good amount of isolation, i would go with the md33. give it a listen and do the judgement yourself, as people have different sound preferences. if you find the md33 unenjoyable, simply sell them here on Head-Fi as many people will probably be eager to buy them off you.

Jan 26, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 30
I'm going to have to throw in another vote for the er-6i.
It is worth the wait if you can save up the extra cash. I use them
unamped on a Karma, and they sound fantastic.

-Jeff

Jan 26, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #13 of 30
A vote for the E3s. I found them superior to the 6is, and when equalized , superior to even ER4. Both etys sound very thin to me. Since you have a Karma, and Karma has one of the best built in Equalizers, I recommend the E3s. Well Equalized they are said to sound very close to the E5c.

Jan 26, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 30
This thread reminds me why I left Head-Fi for a number of years, getting talked into upgrades easily
icon10.gif
. I'm going to have to sit and think about this, a headphone purchase is serious business.

Jan 28, 2005 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 30
I tried my Dad's Sony Ex51's today, and was somewhat unimpressed with the sound. There was little bass, and it just didn't sound that great. Also, they felt somewhat uncomfortable in my ears. So I guess I've come to the conclusion that I want some earbuds that are comfortable a good amount of bass. i guess I like more 'lively' sounding phones. Anyone have any suggestions, my budget has gone up to include the likes of the ER6i if that makes any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back