Good ~$60 Semi/Open Headphone?
Feb 7, 2010 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for a new set of headphone, I want something that is basically the opposite of my XB700's. I figure they'll mostly be used for games and classical music.

I was looking at the AKG K99 and Sennheiser HD515s, but I really don't know anything regarding open headphones at this price range. As the title states, my budget is around $60, and I really don't want to do more.

I can't really test any headphones, so I'm gonna take it on faith here guys. :p

Also: Around ear headphones are preferred. I spend a lot of time with the headphones on so I need something comfortable.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 13
AKG Kxx series are for studio purpose. They are quite good for their price.

True polar opposite of XB700 would be Audio Technica A700, but it is closed...

To be honest, XB700, in my honest opinion, are worse than DT770 80ohm, so any semi-decent headphones will do the trick.

You may want to look for Beyerdynamic DTX series as well, since they are remarkable for the price. I have DTX900, always am surprised how good they are (almost on par with DT series)

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 13
Yes, I know my headphones aren't as good as $200 headphones, but the reason I mention them is because I want something that's generally more open, with better mids and high, that are lighter on the lows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yuin G2A is a best heard for $60. Do a headband mod if clip-ons are not for you. Follow http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...c-75-a-424109/ for more info.

Oh, on that note, I should have mentioned around ear are preferred. I'll add that to the original post. I knew I forgot something. :p

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 13
Just found out DTX series are discontinued (too bad DTX900 are as good as DT880 IMO)

You don't have much choice. Well known open full-size headphone at that range are HD515 alone and AKG studio series.

But before you do that, go to the nearest Radioshack and see if they have demo for Koss UR40. These headphones sound surprisingly good (yet another underestimated/undertalked headphones that are easily available.) They sound good as well.

So HD515, K99 and UR40. Try find a demo for UR40 among Radioshack store. Keep in mind HD515 comfort is better than other two.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for the insight, I'll try to fine a place to demo the Koss ones.

Also, how is build quality on all those? (K99, HD515, and UR40)

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 13
stretch your budget a tad and get HD555. far better than the 515, a real bargain IMO.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 13
Even cheaper, crapper K66 are already durable. But like many AKG series its automatic adjustment system may be problematic after long time of use.

HD5x5 series use same structure, it is also durable.

Koss looks rather fragile, but again, it can endure quite some punishment.

For durability and overall build quality Sennheiser is hands down best.

Plus : by the way a guy above this post is telling the truth.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the suggestion, but stretching the budget by that much isn't really an option.

Man, reading some reviews for these, and there's really not a whole lot of nice things said.

Should I just go for closed headphones? Would there be closed headphones with a nice open sound?

Feb 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kukuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion, but stretching the budget by that much isn't really an option.

Man, reading some reviews for these, and there's really not a whole lot of nice things said.

Should I just go for closed headphones? Would there be closed headphones with a nice open sound?

With your price range, no. Period.

There are closed headphones sound OK to great, but none of them give you airy sound.

JVC HA-RX700, Koss UR29 and recent Sennheiser HD428 (a little over your budget) are decent closed ones, but none of them sound like open headphones.

By the way did you check Koss UR40?

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #13 of 13
Hi there! I just posted a pair of AKG K99s up for auction on eBay. It sounds like these would be a good fit for what you are looking for -- semi-open, circumaural, with great mids and highs, and right in your price range. They are lighter on the lows, but still tight and punchy.

Feel free to check them out:

AKG K99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back