Good <$200 IEM with flat response
Feb 22, 2016 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

VonMillerFan

New Head-Fier
My Shure e2c's are giving up the ghost or more accurately, the cable is.  I've already replaced the 3.5mm jack and now the cable has cracked about ~1" after the earbud.  I am considering popping them apart and re-cabling/grafting them onto a Samsung OEM cable, but I'd rather not.  I definitely want a mic for answering calls and Android controls would be nice, but not necessary.  AFAIK, the mic on Apple headphones will work with Android phones as well.  I tried the Sennheiser Momentum's and was shocked at how bad they were: recessed and muddy midrange response - it was like trying on some Beats headphones.  
basshead.gif
  I was going to get some Shure SE215's, but then I saw a FR graph for them and figured they'd sound about the same as the Momentums.   

Any way here's what I'm looking for:

Music: I listen to just about everything other than pop and EDM.  Performance with rock, metal, blues and jazz is definitely more important than hip-hop and rap.   

The source will generally be my Samsung S4 - for portable listening, so I need something that is 16 ohms or more and with decent sensitivity (~100db).  The S4's sound quality is known to suffer below ~16 ohms. 

I'm looking for relatively flat response - I can live with deficiencies in the lowest and highest octave, but I'd really like something flat from say ~50hz to ~5khz.  I would prefer to avoid any big spikes in the treble region.  I can deal with a little bloat in the midbass/midrange area, but I don't like bloated bass.   

I'd like good sound isolation.  I will wear them while running the snowblower, mowing the lawn, biking, ignoring the world, etc.

I'd like something somewhat durable as they'll get used 10-15 hours per week.  I do run the cable inside my shirt to avoid snagging it.  Replaceable cable would be nice, but not necessary.       

I was considering the RHA-ma750, but that appears to be boosted in the bass range and I'm not sure about the weight.  The T10 looks interesting, but it looks like those have more bass response than the 750.  The Mee M6Pro looks nice, but I don't like where they located the mic.  I think the Mee a151 could work for me, but it seems like a lot of people have had cable problems.  I'd like to try the AKG n20u, but there is a serious lack of info on those.      

TIA,
James
(GO BRONCOS!!!) 

Feb 22, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 8
I find the MA750 to be quite neutral to be honest, the bass may be boosted but only very slightly, the mids are nice and rich and the highs are rolled off before any hint of sibilance appears. As for the weight, I find they pretty much disappear when being worn as the over ear fitting takes all of the weight.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Bump.  

I'm back.  I guess I have to amend my original criteria and up the budget.  Researching all the options, apparently there are a ton of nice sounding IEMs out there (re400, Gr07, Dunu 1000, et, al), however, they appear to lack longevity and have spotty customer/warranty service.  I'm pretty sure my Shure e2c's (that are still working) are 10 years old; I really don't feel like purchasing a new IEM every 1-2 years and/or dealing with warranty replacement.  I'm willing to go into the $300 range, but I'd prefer to be in the ~$200 range or lower if possible, I'm looking at some used IEMs on Amazon. 

Right now I'm looking at the ATH-IM03 and Shure se425, which can be had in the ~$200-250 range and add ~$50 for a mic/cable.  Any others I should be looking at?  I'd prefer over the ear.  I definitely want a mic. 

Thanks again,
James 

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 8
  Bump.  

I'm back.  I guess I have to amend my original criteria and up the budget.  Researching all the options, apparently there are a ton of nice sounding IEMs out there (re400, Gr07, Dunu 1000, et, al), however, they appear to lack longevity and have spotty customer/warranty service.  I'm pretty sure my Shure e2c's (that are still working) are 10 years old; I really don't feel like purchasing a new IEM every 1-2 years and/or dealing with warranty replacement.  I'm willing to go into the $300 range, but I'd prefer to be in the ~$200 range or lower if possible, I'm looking at some used IEMs on Amazon. 

Right now I'm looking at the ATH-IM03 and Shure se425, which can be had in the ~$200-250 range and add ~$50 for a mic/cable.  Any others I should be looking at?  I'd prefer over the ear.  I definitely want a mic. 

Thanks again,
James 

Senn IE 80, RHA T20, Rockit Sounds R-50, FLC Technology FLC 8S ( a bit over budget, depending), Aurisonics Rockets. Just a few for you to read about and see if you find anything of interest to you. I don't think any of these is going to meet all your needs, but maybe one will meet some of them. Good luck!

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 8

Senn IE 80, RHA T20, Rockit Sounds R-50, FLC Technology FLC 8S ( a bit over budget, depending), Aurisonics Rockets. Just a few for you to read about and see if you find anything of interest to you. I don't think any of these is going to meet all your needs, but maybe one will meet some of them. Good luck!

I wouldn't mind springing for the FLC 8s, but the impedance is too low. 
mad.gif

The Rockets are interesting, I'll do some research on them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back