Good 2.0 or 2.1 system for use with Computer?
Jan 16, 2008 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kashirat

New Head-Fier
So here's my situation, I have HD650 with USB0404, but often times I prefer to listen to music without headphones on. So I'd like to get a decent 2.0 or 2.1 system to listen to music. I need something that is relatively portable (about along the same size as your typical computer speaker system).

I've looked at the z-2300 and the klipsch 2.1 system but they really don't do music justice.. What's the next step up from there? I'm looking to spend < $350 or so.

Thanks in advance =)

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd start looking at monitors. Propably the best bang for the buck would be building them yourself, for $350 you could build something that's quite decent (fi. Seas MS Micro 2006, various Alcone). But you'd need a seperate amp.
As an alternative, some monitors come with a built-in amp. I haven't heard those myself, so I can't comment on their quality.

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Here are 2 excellent powered speaker systems. Each costs $200 and provides much higher sound quality than typical computer speakers. Either of these systems can fill a small-to-medium sized room with quality sound, and both work great with computer sound.

Aego-M from Acoustic Energy is a 2.1 system with tiny sats made from a metal alloy, and a good subwoofer that is powerful without being boomy.

AudioEngine 2 is a 2.0 system featuring 2 small speakers which produce high-quality sound with excellent bass considering there is no sub.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #5 of 8
For portability active monitors have the advantage of having their amps integrated into the speakers, Sweetwater carry most brands.

Another good option would be some efficient small bookshelfs (check out the KEF iQ3s) or passive monitors and T amp like the Trends Audio or Firestone Big Joe.

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #6 of 8
among active monitors (many of which are terrible distortion boxes), mackie have the best rep, measure the best, and are not the cheapest but keep their resale value quite well. they were developed/are used in studio applications where they are prized for their neutrality. alesis used to be better than it is recently - and m-audio has been disappointing in my experience. but both those brands offer good value nonetheless, and honestly in most office or 'transportable' set-ups, the room and source are constraints on the sound almost more than the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back