Good 2.0/2.1 powered computer speakers (Audioengine, Razer, etc.)
Apr 1, 2009 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for high-end powered 2.0 / 2.1 speakers sold in the USA. I plan to connect them to a good soundcard like the Auzentech Forte, HT Omega Claro Halo, or Asus Essence, which I'm planning to buy shortly. I also listen to Sennheiser 595 headphones. My music/gaming ratio is 75:25.

I would prefer not to get an integrated amp + passive speakers since I don't want to use a lot of deskspace (and I don't think it's a good idea to place the amp on my carpeted floor).

Does anyone have any opinions on these choices:

1. Audioengine A5, 2.0 speakers, $325
-- No headphone out
-- No digital in
Amazon.com: Audioengine 5 - PC multimedia speakers for iPod - 45 Watt (total) - 2-way - black: Your Store

2. Razer Mako, 2.1 speakers, $343
-- No digital in
-- Smallest
Amazon.com: Razer Mako 2.1 Speaker System: Electronics

3. M-Audio AV40, 2.0 speakers, $137
-- No digital in
Amazon.com: M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakers: Your Store

4. Edirol MA-15D, 2.0 monitors, $180
-- Digital in, headphone out
Amazon.com: Edirol MA-15D Digital Stereo Micro Monitors: Musical Instruments

5. Behringer MS40, 2.0 monitors, $130
-- Digital in, headphone out
Amazon.com: Behringer MS40 Digital Monitor Speakers Pair: Your Store

Apr 1, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 59
No Razer Mako unless you want to piss away your money. Check out the Swan M200MKII.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Razer Mako unless you want to piss away your money. Check out the Swan M200MKII.

Have you tried the Razer Mako, or is that a stock response?

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 59
If you've got the cash, the Audioengine A5s are probably the best choice. If you don't want to spend quite as much and don't mind the look, Swan M200 MkIIs are nearly as good and are currently a lot less. As for the M-Audio AV40s, they're not bad at all at around $140 although if you can get the Audioengine A2s for that price (a lot of people here seem to have been able to) then I would choose those over the M-Audios, but if not you won't regret the AV40s =). If it helps, I currently own the Swans, used to own the AV40s, gave the A2s as a gift, and my roommate has the A5s so this is just from personal experience.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the Razer Mako, or is that a stock response?

lol

Have you? Then I am sorry. Klipsch, logicrap, creative, etc "pc speakers" suck.

Always, forever and ever, amen. That is the word of spaceman.

Read a bit and figure what seems best to you. I would get a receiver, 2 speakers and a sub. These days, places like the speaker company are putting out great bang for the buck products.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by evu325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've got the cash, the Audioengine A5s are probably the best choice. If you don't want to spend quite as much and don't mind the look, Swan M200 MkIIs are nearly as good and are currently a lot less. As for the M-Audio AV40s, they're not bad at all at around $140 although if you can get the Audioengine A2s for that price (a lot of people here seem to have been able to) then I would choose those over the M-Audios, but if not you won't regret the AV40s =). If it helps, I currently own the Swans, used to own the AV40s, gave the A2s as a gift, and my roommate has the A5s so this is just from personal experience.

Where can I buy Swan M200 MkII speakers online?

The things I don't like about the Audioengine A5s are that (1) there are no physical controls on it; and (2) there is no headphone output.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 59
TheAudioInsider.

And why would you care if there aren't headphone outputs? Speaker headphone outs usually suck and, at most, are mediocre.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 59
Sigh.

OP

Please state a budget. For the $$, a pair of decent headphones like even the JVC RX700 $35, waxes any of these budget speaker setups. That's why I use headphones. Bang for the buck.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sigh.

OP

Please state a budget. For the $$, a pair of decent headphones like even the JVC RX700 $35, waxes any of these budget speaker setups. That's why I use headphones. Bang for the buck.

I stated in my original post that I have Sennheiser 595 headphones. I want speakers to when I don't want to wear the headphones. My budget is probably around $350, which could probably be inferred by the maximum of the prices of the candidate speakers I listed.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TheAudioInsider.

And why would you care if there aren't headphone outputs? Speaker headphone outs usually suck and, at most, are mediocre.

Could you please post the URL on TheAudioInsider that mentions that the Razer Mako speakers are a poor choice? Thanks. And isn't TheAudioInsider a store that sells speakers? I would think such stores would be biased to push particular inventory, as opposed to, say, a trade publication.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 59
I just picked up some KRK Rokit 6 limited edition Yellow(my avatar) from my local Guitar Center..they had them disco'd and I picked them up for a steal $299 for the par if you don't mind the color..the salesman said they couldn't sell them do to the Yellow....tons of input options..my friend and I did some critical listening the other day..and we were quite impressed. Just a Ipod docking station to a Melos sha-1 tube pre-amp..I very happy!

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you please post the URL on TheAudioInsider that mentions that the Razer Mako speakers are a poor choice? Thanks. And isn't TheAudioInsider a store that sells speakers? I would think such stores would be biased to push particular inventory, as opposed to, say, a trade publication.

You need to re-read the thread and see which questions I am answering. They aren't the questions in your head...

As for the Razer Mako sucking... just take it on faith. If you REALLY doubt that the Razer speakers suck, I won't make any more fuss about you buying it. I will just have a good laugh to myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back