Good 1.5 ft or more RCA cables for under $35
Oct 18, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 12
MONO PRICE 

I actually use their "Coaxial" cables for RCAs, just rember to label Left n Right since they are the same color, but yea Mono Price cables ftw! 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you. That is what I am already using. When I heard better cables before.  I could tell a difference. Also, hot could $2 cables be the same as $36 cables.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 12
  Thank you. That is what I am already using. When I heard better cables before.  I could tell a difference. Also, hot could $2 cables be the same as $36 cables.

Simple, both are copper wire covered in some kind of Sheilding

I'm not going to doubt that cables make a differance, but ask your self. When you heard better cables, was it on a rig that your farmillar with? Could you blind test the Cable an hear the differance 

An are you REALLY looking for a cable to "improve" sound or do you just simply want something that looks nicer and might be more durable [which is 100% ok] 

also are your headphones and your rig as a whole transparent enough to even show improvement in the cables? 

For my self personally, I got Cables last. When you reach a point at which your happy with your rig and don't have the URGE TO OMG GET NEW STUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Then get Cables, as chances are the money you've spent on your Cables thus far may have purchased a headphone or source that would make a bigger differance. 

Though if your serious though Schiit has a nice USB Cable they sell for not to bad a price and you might be able to get something nicely built by Brian at BTG 

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 12

Cables don't make any audible changes to the signal. Any changes they do make are on a scale of hundredths of a decibel, a hundred times less than what we can actually hear. This has been shown in several tests with a variety of cable types, both in measurements of the cables themselves and in null tests. Check out the Sound Science forum.

Differences heard might be the result of a few things:
  • One cable is faulty. This will be obvious because you'll get very clearly audible noise, or one channel won't work at all, etc. No subtle differences like usually claimed.
  • One cable is intentionally designed to be colored, with high capacitance, resistance, etc. This will almost always be the more expensive "audiophile" cable. You're basically buying a faulty cable on purpose, not something you want to do.
  • The differences are imagined, due to cognitive biases. This accounts for 99% of cable claims. It's nothing to be ashamed of, every human suffers from biases. Just don't use it to justify a purchase or recommendation!

Monoprice really will sound exactly like every other cable that's not screwing up your signal. That said, Blue Jeans makes high quality cables. I have a pair of LC-1 interconnects, just nothing to use them with anymore. If you like how they look and can justify the price for that, go for it!

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 12
  The cables I used were 3.5 to RCA on my current rig.  What would make Monoprice shield there cables for such a little price?

... That's a good question. I'll say that I've got about 50/50 in terms of stuff from Mono Price

for example 

This Cable is the greatest 3.5mm I've EVER owned I love it 
I swear to gawd, I ran over that thing twice, left it out in the rain once, and dried it a few times... it lasted me like 2 years two years of HELL and only until it's last trip to the washer machine did I start to notice it dropping the left channel 

that said, every other 3.5mm I've gotten from Mono Price has been pure garbage :/

On to another positive I love their RCA Cables, the Coaxial ones are nice, though the little Plastic Doo Dads un screw if your not careful xD

So I think Mono Price... is sourcing some interesting stuff, they get great metal and poor Plastic but again the cables them 

I will say how ever that Mono Price 6.5mm to 3.5mm are trash, every one I've had has died in like 2 months

So They are not a perfect company, but they have a couple of Products that are stellar, RCA cables being one of them

As to why it's so cheap... chances are they buy in MASSIVE amounts, with out a whole heck of a lot of Quality Control, and on that note Mono Price Customer Service is AMAZING. I swear those people Next Day Air'd me a 85 cent 6.5 to 3.5mm adapter once, after they forget to mail me one... and that's no lie! 

SO ALL of that said, I would recommend you to enjoy your Mono Price RCA cable and save your money for another headphone. If your HELL bent on getting a better set of RCA's check with Brian at BTG or Charleston Cable Company 

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 12

Cables don't make any audible changes to the signal. Any changes they do make are on a scale of hundredths of a decibel, a hundred times less than what we can actually hear. This has been shown in several tests with a variety of cable types, both in measurements of the cables themselves and in null tests. Check out the Sound Science forum.

Differences heard might be the result of a few things:
  • One cable is faulty. This will be obvious because you'll get very clearly audible noise, or one channel won't work at all, etc. No subtle differences like usually claimed.
  • One cable is intentionally designed to be colored, with high capacitance, resistance, etc. This will almost always be the more expensive "audiophile" cable. You're basically buying a faulty cable on purpose, not something you want to do.
  • The differences are imagined, due to cognitive biases. This accounts for 99% of cable claims. It's nothing to be ashamed of, every human suffers from biases. Just don't use it to justify a purchase or recommendation!

Monoprice really will sound exactly like every other cable that's not screwing up your signal. That said, Blue Jeans makes high quality cables. I have a pair of LC-1 interconnects, just nothing to use them with anymore. If you like how they look and can justify the price for that, go for it!

Yea that is a good point. Again some of Mono Prices Cables fall apart easy and start to drop signal on one Channel... so the build quality will from time to time with Mono Price be a little iffy, but again take full advantage of their customer service

An as far as buying "faulty" or "audiophile Cables" it's a mixed bag imo. For an RCA Cable... DO NOT DO IT, keep that schiit CLEAN

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 12
Ghent Audio is a good source for quality cables as a reasonable price: http://www.ghentaudio.com/

Read testimonials from Head-Fi members: http://www.head-fi.org/t/725542/ghentaudio-cables-impressions-opinions-first-impressions-pictures-in

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #10 of 12
Ghent Audio is a good source for quality cables as a reasonable price: http://www.ghentaudio.com/

Read testimonials from Head-Fi members: http://www.head-fi.org/t/725542/ghentaudio-cables-impressions-opinions-first-impressions-pictures-in

$21s not bad for a 1m of cable 

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Right. And the prices don't gouge you going from say 1m to 3m.

I have some of their cables and like them.

Again, aside from Build quality I have no issue my Mono Price cables, and the 3.5mm I get from them [the GIANT one] is amazing in term of durability imo

though at the moment I don't use RCA's as my Amp/Dac are a single unit

but I might grab a pair of those one of these days... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back