Goo Goo Fans, is it just me or is Let Love in EXTREMELY Brickwalled?
Oct 10, 2009 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

blackbird

100+ Head-Fier
I got Let love in a couple of months ago, but I have never had a chance to listen to it carefully until today. Unlike their previous albums, especially Superstar carwash and A Boy Named Goo, it sounds extremely bad. Mind you, musically, the Goos are still as talented as ever(at least in my opinion), but I guess this is just one of the examples where the loudness war ruined another album. It doesn't sound good, as there is no definition, and the guitars don't reach the clarity of SSCW and ABNG, or even DUTG, in fact. You can tell there is no definition in the drums, because the dynamic range is so low. SSCW sounds EXTREMELY well, the guitars are just so apparent with my RE2, and the extreme highs are reached. Before this album, I never heard of such good guitars in music. Even ABNG isn't that good in this regard. Any suggestions of any other great sounding guitar/drum oriented music?

Musically, I feel that the Goos albums(out of the ones I own) are ordered this way:

Superstar Car Wash, Dizzy up the Girl, A Boy named Goo, Let Love In(though they are all good)

But speaking about dynamic range, it seems it is naturally from Oldest to youngest. I don't know, but it seems like most albums after 2006 are EXTREMELY brickwalled. I mean, things like Silent Alarm(2005) sound fine, but Bloc Party's new things(even A weekend in the city, which lyrically, is an amazing album) simply are too brickwalled. I even see it with Radiohead, but it seems like even The bends didn't have a impressive dynamic range. I am interested in the other Goos albums. Should I go with Hold Me Up, Gutterflower, or Jed? Is Gutterflower just as brickwalled as Let Love In? Either way, I think i'll be impressed because I've lost faith in the Goos in making bad music.

On a side note, I just ripped a copy of Garth Brook's "No Fences" and it sounds MUCH better than modern "country", both dynamically and musically. i also happened to (illegally) get a copy of The Lillywhite Sessions mastered by karmageddon in Flac, and the dynamic range is extremely good, even matching the range of "Under the Table". Seriously, the Drums sound extremely good in this one. I should probably buy a copy of "Busted Stuff" because I don't feel good about stealing DMB's music.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 4
The only Goo Goo Doll album I have is Dizzy Up The Girl and I was disappointed with its overall sound quality. I might have to look into getting Superstar Car Wash.

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only Goo Goo Doll album I have is Dizzy Up The Girl and I was disappointed with its overall sound quality. I might have to look into getting Superstar Car Wash.

yeah, no doubt Superstar Carwash sounds good, but Dizzy up the girl doesn't really sound that bad compared to today's stuff. What music/albums are you comparing it to?

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 4
I'll have to spin the disc again but I remember the snares in particular sounding off. For similar kind of rock, I think Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica sounds much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back