Gonna make my own diy interconnects...
May 19, 2003 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

orl2222

100+ Head-Fier
While searching the web, i found this article on DIY interconnects:
http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-cables.html
I ordered the cable, 25ft, and eight connectors. Total price was about 25.00 plus shipping. I'll let everybody know how they come out. The price is cheap enough.

May 21, 2003 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 16
Would be interesting to hear how they sound, although from the link it seems that the cable is a simple coax and the plugs are not soldered. Considering the cable, to my ears, pseudo balanced interconnects always sounded batter, providing they were constructed from similar grade materials. Fot the RCA plugs, try the soldering variety

May 21, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 16
Got them in, they actually sound alot better than my Kimber pbj's. Very easy to put together. Follow the instructions, and Thighten the nut with a 5/16 open end wrench, and a small vise. The connection is very tight, and the ends are premium grade quality, smiliar to automotive line fittings. The sound is very, very nuetral, not birght or dark, just very smooth. The cable itself is very flexible, I made them .5 meter in length. This is the best bargin for interconnects available, and I've heard plenty. I highly reccomned these!!!!!!!

May 21, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 16
If you have some cable left, try this. Run two lengths twisted together (mark them first). Connect one center to the hot and one center to the return at each end. At one end only connect both braids together and solder together with one of the centers to the return. It is gonna be very thick, but it will sound better.
For this you'll need 4 times the length say for 0.5 m pair you'll need 2 meters coax in total.

May 21, 2003 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 16
orl2222,

Glad to hear that the new DIY ICs sound so good, and were so easy to put together. Sometimes those DIY projects pay off BIG TIME. Sounds like you got a great deal. Please post some more thoughts on how they compare to the Kimbers.

May 21, 2003 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 16
Compared to the Kimbers, the sound is more "fliud" . The kimbers sound more "scratchy" if that makes sense. The highs, mids, and bottom end is just smoother. One thing I've noticed right off the bat is that I had to turn down the volume on my amp, I beleive these wires have better conductivity. They are double shielded, teflon. The flexiablity of these cables is great. 6 MM, and are great for short runs.Most interconnects I've ran into were way too stiff, that's why I orginally went with the Kimbers. For 24.00, this is a steal. The nice thing, you can order them in 25ft. lengths, compare this to the Belden cables, which are way more expensive, so most "audiophile" stores that sell them them triple the price to have them cut to smaller lengths. Again, I highly reccomed these. Try them, I garantee you'll like them!
biggrin.gif

P.S. pick up a cheap coax cutter from radio shack, makes the job easier, I got one there for 3.95

May 21, 2003 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 16
orl2222: Quick question...

What method did you use to un-braid the copper? Man was that frustrating!!! It was taking me FOREVER to do a decent job of unbraiding that copper sheeting and ended up with annoying copper slivers in my fingers.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI: for others who might be interested in making more than a couple of these cables, can get 100' of cable for $7.75 (part # 50-2180).

And, can get the color coded connectors in silver (part # 50-2140 with black stripe, # 50-2135 for red stripe) or black (part#50-2120 with a white stripe, #50-2115 with a red stripe).

Thanks!
Bruce

May 21, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 16
What I did Bruce, is to simply cut off a 1/2 inch of the coax, slide the male piece of the connector over the wire, then twist the farrel piece on over the folded braided wire, then clipped the excess, much easier than trying to cut the braided wire exact. I then cut 3/16 off the inner teflon insulation, and folded the + strand in two seperate sections, rather than trying to get the + strand around the teflon insulation. then I hand tightened the male/female connectors together, then put the ends in a small vice, used a 5/16 in. open end wrench, and tightened the two ends of the connectors together. Don't be afraid to use some force torquing the ends together, they are quite durable. In my oppinion, these connectors are great! Like I said earlier, the remind me of ans fittings for automitve use, aluminum, just plain stronger then the so called " audiphile" solder connectors. Plus they are gold plated on the inside. The picture in the article doesn't really show how well made and beautiful these connectors are. They are a work of art. How do you like them?

May 24, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 16
Well, since it took quite a while to make one length of cable (and my work life got a little outta control) I have not finished making the ICs. Will try your suggestion of just folding down the braided copper.

Yep, the connectors appear to be of high quality. Will have to wait a bit before deciding on the sound.

Thanks for the info!

Bruce

Jun 17, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #12 of 16
Great thread- I might need to be making myself some IC's soon- and these look like good inexpensive good quality cables. It sounds dumb but I like the visual appearance of them too- very elegant.

Now if I say needed to make some RCA to stereo miniplug cables... how would I modify this procedure to do that, and where can I get high quality stereo miniplug ends?

Ruahrc

Jul 8, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 16
Excellent! I was getting ready to pay $50 for ICs!

Now I get great cables and a basic DIY project.

I can draw little spiders on them and sell them for $100/m

seriously, why isn't this a sticky??

Jul 18, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 16
Just bought enough parts for 2x 6ft pairs of interconnects. Hope these sound better than the silver DIY I'm using right now. Anyone know what kind of shipping they use when you choose their "best shipping method" or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back