Gonna do a major overhaul of some old Futur Sonics EM3's. Need advice!
May 20, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Funk-O-Meter

100+ Head-Fier
Got an old set of Future Sonics EM3's that I've had for about 5 years and the wires have gotten really stiff and hard to manage from reacting with my sweet. I use them to perform live as a guitarists and I'm surprised they're still around. Well now my new band is going all IEM's and I'm gonna give them to our Bass player because of their skull crushing low end.
etysmile.gif
But first the bad cables gotta go.

Here's the model next to their "Soft Wear" molds:

Accessories_SofterWear_TM_Custom_fit_sleeves.jpg

Normally they use yellow foamies but I've modded them to use dual flanges. Much faster to get a seal with.

They don't have user replaceable cable so I'm gonna have to perform surgery o them. I'm gonna have to either modify them to have the two prong jacks and just slip a set of professional replacement wires into the newly created jacks or simply splice the new wire onto the existing one at some point near the ear peices them selves. Neither of which is for the squeamish.

Here's the professional replacement cables:

Accessories_50_replacement_cable_for_Ear_Monitors_R_brand_-_BEIGE.jpg

If I'm gonna spend the $40+ bucks on a set of wires from Westone/Futursonics/UE with the two plug ends I'd like to just make them replaceable. Problem is, where can I find the female side of this combo that I can mount in or near the ear peices along the wire to make them replaceable?

If I'm not gonna do that then I'd rather just use some less expensive good quality headphone cables and splice them in carefully making sure to build in a solid strain releif with heatshrink tubing. Who sells good quality in expensive replacement wires thin enough for this?

And that's the other thing. Where can I find heatshrink tubing that small for such small wires?

And one last question. Future Sonics charges $150 bucks for their "SofterWear" custom molds for these...

SofterWear_TM_Custom_fit_sleeves.html

Think I could make some with the iPod Fit Kit:

http://www.podfitkit.com/index.html

If I could get this going it would breath new life into my old set of IEM's. I always loved the bass on these. They weren't that comfortable but with the molds they would be.

What do you guys think? Id just toss them out but to get anything with this kind of bass response would cost me $150 and these are working line new they just need new wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back