Gonna build a CMOY.. what are the benefits of using one?
May 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

jrm

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
So, as you can see by the question, I am an EXTREME noob to DIY audio and such.  I've been looking for a project to teach me more about audio, circuits, basic DIY skills, etc.. and a CMOY seems like a great first step.  I ordered the parts from Mouser the other day and am looking forward to my first tep into DIY territory.

Now for the dumb question.. what exactly are the benefits of using a headphone amp, or a CMOY in particular.  I have a Fiio E5 that I've been using for a little while and it is great.  I dont know why I like it, but I do.  Seems to make my IEMs a bit more "alive"..  is that right?  I can't tell if that is just because everything is louder or what.. but I dig it.  I use Westone Es3 as my primary monitors and Shure E2c as my beaters... both sound better.  I'd like to get an LOD to run my ipod to the E5 and see if there is a difference.  I use LOD for other

But really, what should I be looking for a CMOY to do?  What are the benefits of using one?  Thanks for any help you can give to a very  uninformed noob!

-jon

May 28, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #2 of 33
Ha, I also have a Cmoy on order as my first DIY amp project. I expect it to do the same as your FiiO (indeed any amp) and give you a greater range of volume that has the sweet spot of dynamics, clarity etc to your headphones, with no distortion or dullness to the sound.

May 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 33

Quote:
Ha, I also have a Cmoy on order as my first DIY amp project. I expect it to do the same as your FiiO (indeed any amp) and give you a greater range of volume that has the sweet spot of dynamics, clarity etc to your headphones, with no distortion or dullness to the sound.

+ and you can try different opamps

May 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 33
^^^^ I had not realised that, this is going to be fun!

May 28, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 33
yep, once in it you will be sorry for your wallet:D

May 28, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 33
I can get opamps on ebay for £1. My wallet should be safe 
k701smile.gif

May 28, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 33
it always starts with the cheap ones..
L3000.gif

ahaha anyway hope you guys enjoy your cmoys and it is (I think) much better than a fiio

make sure you check the opamp thread!

May 29, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 33
I've got a 1/2 built CMOY out on the kitchen table!  Using mainly RatShack parts, but am waiting for a local guy to get in some OPA2134s.  
I like to buy local when possible.  I will also pick up some 'better' caps at that time.  I have a PS (wallwart) from a joystick which I can regulate down to
something like 20v....I hope.  It is a 24v supply, and I doubt it is regulated well, if at all.  
And, at this time, I simply don't care about a case and I will skip the input pot, since I'll be using it with an Ipod.....
By the time I'm done, my soldering skills from long ago will be revived and I'll have a demo amp.....
Than I can elaborate and upgrade at will, and also start some more.......serious.......projects.

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 33
My stuff came in from Mouser today.. sweet!  Now to pick up some board from Radio Shack and I think I'm good.

What gauge wire should I be using?  I'm seriously new to all this stuff!

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 33
I would say get somethg around 22 awg so it fits through the holes of the pcb. but it doesnt matter really you might just solder it anyway. smaller the easier I guess

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 33
FiiO E5 is a joke, and you'll discover that soon as you amp with CMOY.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #13 of 33
went down to my local Radio Shack and they don't carry the protoboard... so, now I've got to order it online and wait some more... They did have the 3 pack of conenctor wire though! The wait continues.

Jun 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 33
At my RadioShackup, I noted 2 main things:

1.  Nobody knows nuttin'.   Well, maybe there name and the way to work.

2.  Protoboard at my ratshack was in 2 different places.  I didn't see the 2nd location which had the EXACT board called out
     in the plans, so I bought something pretty close for a buck more.  It was around the corner on another wall!   
     That may work out as having enough board for 2 amps.   The 2nd to be constructed with 'premium' components.

Good Building::

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 33
hey guys just built an opamp virtual ground circuit and its very nice. dead quiet! very easy to build too.
I cant remember where I found it from..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back