Golly, New Bose Headphones
Oct 13, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 30
a "smart" politician like al gore should hire the p.r. people from bose, they sure are good at shoveling the b.s.

I bet they could win back his reputation....... well maybe on the other hand..... not........

Oct 13, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #17 of 30
I did hear the TriCrap(tm) (hey, I made up the name) headphones. As I said, the listening conditions were WAY less than ideal - but I can clearly hear that my hunch was correct. They sound like a $30 pair of okay-sounding closed headphones. But they want $150 for this pile of s***? Fuggittaboutit. (As in "heck, even the Sony MDR-V700DJ BoomyPhones are much more enjoyable than those Blose crappyphones".)

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
LOL ! You're a sick puppy...
tongue.gif

Psst, you can get them for only $399 at the Sharper Image
biggrin.gif

The Sharper Image model also includes their exclusively patented ionic breeze built right into the headphone set. It cleans and freshens the air in your head without noisy fans or requiring those expensive replacement HEPA filters, while at the same time providing you with musical enjoyment that's unmistakeably "Bose". The cost of the replacement filters can really add up. Plus, if you act now, you also receive the Sharper Image /Bose 901 Jr. phones for the times when you're on the road or indisposed. The Bose 901 jr phones provide exceptional sonic isolation using their patented noise cancelling technologies for those aggravated gastro-intestinal difficulties. And the sound? Well... just ask Helen Keller!

Oct 14, 2002 at 9:02 AM Post #19 of 30
Please just try to imagine how difficult it was for me to keep my lips shut when I heard my floormate saying that those headphones "are the bomb." His uncle works for Bose, maybe that gave me some incentive to keep quiet, for the sake of having proper manners.

Oct 14, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #20 of 30
i listened to these phones in the bose store they have in the westchester on a rio riot and here's what i thought:

isolation: really awesome. i'm sure this is either hit or miss, but those earcups fit my ears perfectly. the sound blockage was very good, especially considering that all over the store were bose speakers *trying* to play music.
very_evil_smiley.gif
this one aspect i thought the headphone did very well.

sound: although i know that everyone is ready to jump on the hate wagon before listening to these (and you have reason to), the sound wasn't that bad. the bass definitely was very boosted and present, but with the sacrifice of being tight and quick. it seemed loose and unsolid. mids/highs were of course cold and a tad shrill, but the comfort and isolation for my ears was really great. they were definitely more comfortable than the v6's i bought my girlfriend last month, but i haven't given them any time at all for listening and they still have the stock pleather pads.

conclusion: i was not able to test this headphone in my reference setup but i'd have to agree with the consensus that they are *not* worth the $150 price tag they had in the bose store. i could understand somebody paying maybe $50-$75 for them and being happy (if their ears and head are of the similar shape of mine and they fit as comfortably). they seemed driven rather easily from the 20gb rio riot player, but the sound was not astounding and definitely not worth $150+tax. i would look either the er-6 or perhaps a ksc-35 and a meta42 or something instead, if i had the money and was looking to buy some nice headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:02 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

I've read an article about the new Porsche and one of the selling points of the car is the Bose stereo system.

Just as long as it sounds better than the "high quality bose" soundsystem that came in my 2001 Audi A4. Sure, it sounded better than the factory stereo, but after taking the door panels off to check things out i saw that all the speakers had paper cones, foam surrounds, and crappy 3ohm voice coils. Oh well... its factory, nothing good ever comes from the factory.

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #22 of 30
Bose is very good at marketing. I heard they are soon going to be selling two tin cans and a string as the greatest inovation in telephone communication. Actually they are probably not that bad just not as good as bose would like you to believe.

Oct 14, 2002 at 7:23 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Andrew LB
nothing good ever comes from the factory.

I dunno. The Infinity system that came with my little Sebring convertible sounds fine. I've never even considered upgrading.

wink.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #24 of 30
I'm with grinch on this one- my friend bought these headphones over the summer and I gave them a listen- now take note that I'm audio-noob so so what I say may not mean anything. Also, they were being driven from a no-name discman.

I thought they were very comfortable and isolated pretty good.

Sound wise the bass was very good, although I'm sure "very good" to me is "bloated and loose" to you. The vocals and highs, however, I thought were pretty clear and crisp.

Now I'm certain that they aren't worth $150 but you all who disregard these phones as $30 cheapies, I would like to think that they would be "worth it" if they were about $60.

Remember though, I'm still an audiophile-in-training
smily_headphones1.gif

Ruahrc

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Ruahrc
I'm with grinch on this one- my friend bought these headphones over the summer and I gave them a listen- now take note that I'm audio-noob so so what I say may not mean anything. Also, they were being driven from a no-name discman.

I thought they were very comfortable and isolated pretty good.

Sound wise the bass was very good, although I'm sure "very good" to me is "bloated and loose" to you. The vocals and highs, however, I thought were pretty clear and crisp.

Now I'm certain that they aren't worth $150 but you all who disregard these phones as $30 cheapies, I would like to think that they would be "worth it" if they were about $60.

Remember though, I'm still an audiophile-in-training
smily_headphones1.gif

Ruahrc

Well... I've got my old Sony PCDP (as recommended by gloco), META42 amp, Beyerdynamic DT250-80... And I'm laughing my arse off.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Go your own way, dude...
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

I dunno. The Infinity system that came with my little Sebring convertible sounds fine. I've never even considered upgrading.

Ok, i will consider some of these systems 'good' for being stock systems. But just like anything in the audio world, they can get incredibly better. I have a feeling that one day ill be installing a full MB Quart with McIntosh amp system in my Audi to go along with my Boston Acoustics Pro Series subs. =)

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #28 of 30
Hehe. I keep forgetting that not everyone has long commutes like me, living in Long Beach and working in Los Angeles.
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #29 of 30
Having heard the Bose Triport in a store display recently I agree with grinch, but I want to add I would consider it somewhere in between the V6 (note I absolutely hate the V6) and the DT231/HD280 (I've owned both and they sound very similar, albeit my current DT231's are brighter than the 280). Basically the Bose Triport is on the boomy, cold side, with a wide headstage and good isolation, though there is a lot of sibilance/grain in the treble. Definitely not worth the money, though neither was the 7506 I bought a while back and quickly returned because it reminded me of the HD457's I had in a really bad way. I don't love the DT231 either because it has it's share of graininess, but at least it's priced correctly.

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Ruahrc

The only problem is that the Sony MDR-V6 is WAAAAY better and costs $60
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back