Goldring Testing in London
Oct 31, 2007 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SuperNothing

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

Well I have been lurking around the forums for a while and I finally decided to post. So for some background I am an American college student but I am doing a year of study-abroad in London. As I am in the UK for the year I wanted to try out some of the Goldring DR150s to see what they were like. I headed over to Shasonic on Tottenham Court Road and they had a great selection but they won't let you listen to any of the phones. I searched through the forum and I found some places that sell Goldring in London but I don't want to trek out far if they won't let me listen. So to make a long story short I was wondering if anyone in London knows where I can listen to the DR150. Thanks.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Your going to be very hard pressed to find a stockist in the whole of england let alone in london that is prepared to let you audition a pair of Goldring DR150 before buying them.

We simply are not geared up in this country to let people try before they buy, it suxs yes I know, I have had this argument with lots of different outlets.

I know Tottenaham court road very well as I live in london, there is a couple of stores that have a selection of headphones that let you try before you buy but they are mainly beyerDynamic & sennheiser.

Your best bet is to find a stockist in london who sells the Goldring DR150 and give them a call and ask them if its ok to have a listen first, you might get lucky, hope this helps.

Oct 31, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 7
That helped a bunch. Thanks a lot. I don't think I am going to buy any other brands of headphones over here because any other brand I can get cheaper back at home and then either have my family ship them over, bring them over when they visit (as they are doing with my SR325i and PK2), or wait until I go home in September. I just wanted to try the DR150 because I can actually get them cheaper here.

Oct 31, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Yea I saw those shops on the website. That is how I found the one on Tottenham. I am living on Gower Street 5 minutes away so that store was easy to get to. I was mainly just wondering if anyone had personal experience with the stores. Thanks for all the help and advice though.

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 7
anadin;3401242 said:
I know Tottenaham court road very well as I live in london, there is a couple of stores that have a selection of headphones that let you try before you buy but they are mainly beyerDynamic & sennheiser.

QUOTE]

I am coming down to London at the weekend and I am looking to buy a pair of high-end headphones, Senns, Grados or Beyer & need to try them first. You mention that you know a couple of stores that let you try before you buy, are they fairly central?

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi Supernothing, I have a DR-150's (listening to them right now), these are great ROCK cans however, right out of the box they have a good amount of sibilance. This dissapears after burn-in. Mine have a few hundred hours in them and they get as much head time as my MS-1s, sometimes more.
All this to say that you may be dissapointed during a demo because of sibilance. JUST keep in mind that it does go away.
Good luck in your quest!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back