Goldring GX200 v ATH-CK7 v Metro-Fi2?
Jan 18, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

From my experience, I like these dynamics over the armature sound. I'm waiting for AT to make a better sounding dynamic. They went armature in the CK9/10. I am hoping for a CKM7 or 9 building off the new CKM-5 that is being well received. The AT sound with the bubbly well rounded notes is, to me, much more enjoyable than the Ety's that they sound similar to. The added punch is nice also.
[...]

How do CK7 and CK9 compare?

Jan 19, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 29
So the CK7s arrived today. Ordered them Wednesday in the UK, pretty impressive.

Outta the box I am instantly impressed, I think these are what I have been looking for: canal phones with good detail and separation but without the massive bass.

The GX200s are good, particularly in the soundstage department, but I think the CK7s will be more to my liking.

But don't start scouring the FS forums yet, I'd like to mull over them both properly before doing anything. However, if you have a like new pair of CK7s you wanted to trade for the GX200s I might be tempted sooner...

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #19 of 29
Yep, the CK7 seemed like the one based on the balanced sound you like. That is the best way to go; get them both(if possible) and you'll know for sure.

@DeTinux, from what I know, the CK9 went with an armature driver and lost some of the AT tone and timbre which people where looking for and was missing. It was also not enough of an improvement for the price over the CK7. Some say the CK9 gets a nice improvement with Shure tips(I think) so maybe the tips are to blame. But overall the CK9 performed like other single armature phones and cost $50 more.

There is the same thing is going on with the CK10. $350 for something very similar to the q-Jays that also use dual micro-armatures. Why pay an extra $100+ for similar performance.

Even the CK7 weren't worth the $119 they sold for. They were much better received when the got to $89 and below.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, the CK7 seemed like the one based on the balanced sound you like. That is the best way to go; get them both(if possible) and you'll know for sure.

Yep, that's exactly what I did (see above). The GX200s are very good too. I actually reckon a lot of people would really love them. Lots of bass, but not muddy or overpowering. A nice thick, warm/dark phone. They make me really want to try the DR150s, I think that sound in an open full size would be very nice.

I think I would say that they two phones are equal. My preference for the ATs in only that, a preference.

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #21 of 29
i'm interested in your GX200s but my CK7s are broken (too much pulling on the cable)... for how much would you be selling your GX200s and do you take bank tranfer?

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm interested in your GX200s but my CK7s are broken (too much pulling on the cable)... for how much would you be selling your GX200s and do you take bank tranfer?

I'm not selling at this stage. I may keep the Goldrings for the gym because of the J-chord. If I do decide to sell I will PM those of you that have expressed interest here to let you know.

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #23 of 29
yes, i know you're not selling yet, just wanted to know at what price you would be selling them at... i think i'll just get a pair here for 60 euros... thx anyhow

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #24 of 29
Ohohoho, the DR150 is an entirely different ball game in comparison to the GX200. But well, that's like comparing oranges to apples, but let's not get into that.

The CK9 is very, very different from the CK7.
IME, once I got a tight seal, it sounded somewhat E4 like, just not as forward. It was pretty smooth, but had a touch of edginess to it. Detail levels can be said to be slightly above the CK7 if I recall correctly, but its highs don't sparkle like the CK7's, but rather feels somewhat rolled off, Shure E4 style.
A the bass on the CK9 is good, but it doesn't extend to the lowest of lows. I felt a drop in the volumetric output of its sound somewhere when it got to about 50-60Hz and below.

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, i know you're not selling yet, just wanted to know at what price you would be selling them at... i think i'll just get a pair here for 60 euros... thx anyhow

I paid 37 pounds in the UK. So it would not be too much below that.

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #27 of 29
from what i'm hearing, the GX200s have a totally different sound sig than the DR150s... are the GX200s more like the Atrio M5s as opposed to q-jays or DR150s who have a more gradoish sound sig...

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 29
sorry, kinda random:
i just ordered some ath-ck7's online from warehouse123

link:
Warehouse123.com -- Product Info

i probably should have asked this before, but is this a legit place to buy from? i really dont want to be getting fakes. i was going to order from audiocubes, but they sold out the day i decided to get them. the next cheapest price was warehouse123.

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuffguyblake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, kinda random:
i just ordered some ath-ck7's online from warehouse123

link:
Warehouse123.com -- Product Info

i probably should have asked this before, but is this a legit place to buy from? i really dont want to be getting fakes. i was going to order from audiocubes, but they sold out the day i decided to get them. the next cheapest price was warehouse123.

I bought my CK7 from warehouse123.com. Delivery was very quick and they were a pleasure to deal with.

I highly prefer the CK7 to the CK9. And I paid less for my CK9 than my CK7. I found that the CK9 did not sound as natural as the CK7 and they were not nearly as comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back