Goldring DR150s giving me sore earlobes - reccommendations needed
Oct 28, 2009 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ickle97116084

New Head-Fier
I purchased my first pair of headphones ever - Goldring DR150, based on reviews by this very site, this week and have let them burn in for almost 20 hours now. I haven’t noticed any sibilance yet and the bass is beautiful. I love the sound and they do sound better than any in ear monitor I have used (I have gone through a few now, Shures, Sennheisser, Philips and now Nu-Force). Despite the great sound I can’t keep them on for more than half an hour before I begin to get a very irritating sore feeling around my earlobe. I would best describe my ears as medium sized but they do stick out a lot - dumbo style - LOL.

Is there an acclimatisation period with new headphones where ones ears get used to the feeling, or should I upgrade the earcups to a larger circumaural? I am unsure if the shop I bought them from would take them back, I have returned 2 pairs of faulty IEMS in the past year and tried on almost every headphone in the shop prior to purchasing these headphones. I am sure they have a dartboard of my face in there kitchen.

Hope someone can help.

Ickle.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 5
If they're anything like my Grado SR325is, you'll get used to it. I had the same problem.

...I googled that pair of phones, and they look circumaural (around-ear), not supraaural (on-ear) like the Grados. Do your ears stick out enough to touch the fabric/foam (I can't tell from the photos on GIS)? Or are the pads causing your discomfort?

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 5
I got used to it but it did take a while. Clamping force on the sides of my head was more of an issue with the DR150s for me. I ended up stretching them round a few books when I wasn't wearing them. Have you adjusted the position on your head much?

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Thankyou for your replies, these are circumaural for sure as the completely envelope my ear and although initialy comfy they get hot and eventually painful. I have tried loosening the headband but I have a pretty small head, my head is akin to the FA CUP. I do feel my ears touching the foam covering the driver and the back of the earcup (velvety stuff).

What should I do, keep them and hope the feeling disapears or take them back and explain my problem and hope the company are gracious.

confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back