Goldring DR150 owners, are you still happy with them?
Aug 7, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
uh... talk about hijacking a thread! my apologies to the OP.

Heh
biggrin.gif
dont worry about it mate.
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
I don't know about US but local hifi store here in Finland sells them.

What store? Do they have a website?

Aug 7, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #18 of 27
Aug 7, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #19 of 27
Just emailed Scott (warrior05) and he's going to recable mine dual entry like his!
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
I thought I'd better jump on that $500.00 price before he recended, what a bargain!
very_evil_smiley.gif
I'll get 'em out tomorrow Scott! Can't wait!

Are we having a second wave of interest for the Docs?

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #22 of 27
OK i've got them and have listened to a few songs so far (probably an hour break in)... initial impressions.

Good looking, as said similar to the HD595. Modern and attractive.

Comfortable, although the pads are itchy to the skin compared to Beyer pads. Mind you, so were Sennheiser pads to me as well. Comfort equivalent to how I remember the HD650.

Soundwise. They sound pretty decent. Probably on par with the DT531 but no better so far. Very similar sounding actually. But with some differences. These arent as bassy as I thought they'd be. Soundstage seems to be smaller, but the midrange might be a smidge better quality.

Not really fair to judge them yet though considering they've had virtually no break in (compared to the Beyers which have had thousands of hours break in). I do hope they improve though, as good as they are, I was hoping for better so far. Definitely fun though, and showing good potential.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #23 of 27
Right a few more songs on, and I feel the bass is pretty decent after all. I think its just because I've actually now played songs with some decent bass in them. They do seem to have slightly more impact and volume at the bottom end than the DT531, although that headphone is not lacking either. These however, do have good PRaT, possibly on par, or better than anything i've yet heard, at least, anything with enough bass to be easily heard without cranking the volume.

I've not had any issues with sibilance - they are a touch bright perhaps, but certainly nothing too bad. I guess its system dependant, but overall they are seeming fairly well balanced, and great fun to listen to so far. I can already say for sure that these are the modern day groovalizer, the one with the closest ethos i've yet heard to a well driven DT531.

I cant comment on driving it with ipods and the like as i've not yet tried it, but i will say on the below rig (one which i regard as none too shabby in any respect to be fair) its performing beyond what one should probably expect for its pricetag.

Aug 8, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #24 of 27
ahhhhh... as the docs reel another one in!

one of the real fun things with the docs is that they are pretty source sensitive. plug 'em into a different amp and you've got something that is sounding pretty different. bring 'em to a Meet and have fun!

though they don't need long to burn-in they will evolve. a little patience will go a looooong way.

have fun!!!!

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
ahhhhh... as the docs reel another one in!

one of the real fun things with the docs is that they are pretty source sensitive. plug 'em into a different amp and you've got something that is sounding pretty different. bring 'em to a Meet and have fun!

though they don't need long to burn-in they will evolve. a little patience will go a looooong way.

have fun!!!!

Seconded

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #26 of 27
Few more thoughts.

They make no effort really to try and hide harsh treble that might be in the source. I've got some old school dance albums that sound really rather harsh with these.

On the other hand, they are aggressive enough to be really involving to some music. I can seldom remember hearing such aggression in music since the likes of the Grado SR80 i had many moons ago.

Not sure this would really be a serious audiophiles only headphone, but i can see this having a place in almost anyones collection as a serious fun headphone, much like the Koss headphones are touted by many.

Aug 8, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Few more thoughts.

They make no effort really to try and hide harsh treble that might be in the source. I've got some old school dance albums that sound really rather harsh with these.

On the other hand, they are aggressive enough to be really involving to some music. I can seldom remember hearing such aggression in music since the likes of the Grado SR80 i had many moons ago.

Not sure this would really be a serious audiophiles only headphone, but i can see this having a place in almost anyones collection as a serious fun headphone, much like the Koss headphones are touted by many.

Hi Paul,Long time since we bumped into each other m8!
So there's a chance you have moved over to the doc side then Paul!!
Give the 150's plenty of time as the treble does mellow just a little leaving a really nice forwardy sounding pair of can's.The doc's may not be the ultimate in any one direction,but i've really been enjoying them more than some pretty pricey alternatives that have passed through my hands and their very comfortable on my average sized bonce as well Paul.
Oh and leave all that dance music alone and try some old Who albums Paul they sound pretty damned good on the doc's
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back