Goldring DR150 owners, are you still happy with them?
Aug 6, 2006 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I really do hope so, because the recent comments on them have prompted me to buying a set, the first time I've bought headphones at all in the last 18 months or so.

As some of you will know, I have been using, and have been pretty happy with, the DT531's... however, the itch has returned in recent weeks and I have been curious to try something else. As yet though, I've not really seen anything about any headphone thats out that would persuage me away...

Until that is, I read about these Goldrings. I was actually tempted by the Koss Porta Pro or something similar, as I'd like something with a fuller bottom end, and when I read about the Goldrings being like souped up Koss headphones, and somewhat like Grado's (which are so awfully overpriced in the UK), I had to swoop.

Hopefully I will like these headphones. I now have a system which I consider to be every bit good enough to drive even some of the best headphones, but I still dont really get on with the high end stuff as its just not "fun" enough in most cases.

So are you "doc" owners still happy these months on?

Aug 6, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 27
I still love mine. They are great for classic rock! They're also very easy to drive, they even sound pretty good straight out of an iPod. They do have some sibilance when new, but that all but disappears with burn in. They are light and comfy too!

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 27
and I still love mine.

Their tight and powerful bass compensate well whenever I feel my
beloved HD-595 'lacks of excitement'.

I've been thinking hard to get rid one of my headphone and grab another
higher-end module, but after I tried the K701, DT990, and UM2, I've
decide to keep the two because they're well above my expectations.
( or to say, the K701 are just below my expectations?
blink.gif
)

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 27
where can you buy these headphones?

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwuzer
where can you buy these headphones?

hificables.co.uk have been used before by other head-fi'ers. they are only available in the UK.

well, how timely this thread. am i still happy with them? these cans continue to be fun but i'll tell you there is even more to it than meets the eye. i decided to buy a used pair as cheap as possible and make it my first recabling experience. i took out the pcb with the mini outlet and wired directly to each driver. i used silver coated copper 22 AWG wire that is teflon coated. i also made the length much shorter - maybe a touch too short in hindsight but i prefer the length i did than my syncwrapped stock cable. i finished it off with techflex and a neutrik gold plated mini. i even devised a way to create stress relief on my solder connections since i am known to give my cables decent tugs every now and again.
rolleyes.gif
i also decided to remove the grill cloth that was attached to the inside back of each housing.

okay... okay... enough with the geeky details! all of these mods have transformed the docs into a more refined can with a bigger soundstage. the elevated bass has been tamed a bit by becoming tighter. everything else is still there as before but with a noticeably bigger soundstage. they are still fun but now there's more of it. i'll tell you all one thing - i am never letting my mod'ed pair go!
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 27
Still liking them even though I've gotten a K340, K601 and W1000 (sold) ever since I got the docs... fun pair of phones to use and abuse...
600smile.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 27
Love mine, always did, always will, good slam too
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
hificables.co.uk have been used before by other head-fi'ers. they are only available in the UK.

well, how timely this thread. am i still happy with them? these cans continue to be fun but i'll tell you there is even more to it than meets the eye. i decided to buy a used pair as cheap as possible and make it my first recabling experience. i took out the pcb with the mini outlet and wired directly to each driver. i used silver coated copper 22 AWG wire that is teflon coated. i also made the length much shorter - maybe a touch too short in hindsight but i prefer the length i did than my syncwrapped stock cable. i finished it off with techflex and a neutrik gold plated mini. i even devised a way to create stress relief on my solder connections since i am known to give my cables decent tugs every now and again.
rolleyes.gif
i also decided to remove the grill cloth that was attached to the inside back of each housing.

okay... okay... enough with the geeky details! all of these mods have transformed the docs into a more refined can with a bigger soundstage. the elevated bass has been tamed a bit by becoming tighter. everything else is still there as before but with a noticeably bigger soundstage. they are still fun but now there's more of it. i'll tell you all one thing - i am never letting my mod'ed pair go!
evil_smiley.gif

There should be a law against a post like this without pics!
biggrin.gif
It sounds great, and I will consider doing the same to mine I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalidor
Still liking them even though I've gotten a K340, K601 and W1000 (sold) ever since I got the docs... fun pair of phones to use and abuse...
600smile.gif

They are different enough from your AKG's to be more than worth holding onto IMO. Are you finding that you use the 601's much since you got the 340's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Glad to hear it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mine are on order so will be here in a day or two. Expect a head to head with the "old groovalizer" in the coming days/weeks.
wink.gif

I'm sure they'll spread a grin across your face!
biggrin.gif
Congrats!

Aug 7, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
There should be a law against a post like this without pics!
biggrin.gif
It sounds great, and I will consider doing the same to mine I think.

hey! i had been at it all day and was getting tired! and... uh... my dog ate my camera. okay, she didn't really. i decided to have the pics hosted so i wouldn't hijack this thread with huge pics:

here are the two drivers wired directly

grill cloth removed from back of housing

finished product showing separate entries into each ear cup

pic of the Y connection and the neutrik mini connector

the whole project took me the better part of the day only because it was my first time and i was being VERY careful and methodical. i only had one hiccup which was quickly resolved.

from what i'm hearing now - it was all worth it! i'm a happy camper.

Aug 7, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 27
one other thing i wanted to mention in regards to the change i'm hearing - or not hearing as the case may be - since my recabling: if any of you have experienced walking into a studio that has been sound deadened with all of those funky acoustic panels - that is what it is like with my mod'ed docs. the blackground is quite exceptional. you hear absolutely nothing until sweet music fills each ear chamber. it is similar to my experience with my K701s. even though they are both open backed cans when you put them on its like closing that studio door and being enveloped by a certain kind of silence.

okay... i'll stop blathering now.

Aug 7, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05
they are only available in the UK.

I don't know about US but local hifi store here in Finland sells them.

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #14 of 27
warrior05 that is an awesome job! I love the splitter part too. How did you do that? When should I send mine to you? No time like the present I always say.
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
warrior05 that is an awesome job! I love the splitter part too. How did you do that? When should I send mine to you? No time like the present I always say.
biggrin.gif

the split was easy. i got most of my parts from Parts-Express.com and they have "cable pants" which helped make the "Y" nice and clean.

sure send them on over! i'll only charge you $500. but it is well worth it let me tell you!
evil_smiley.gif

uh... talk about hijacking a thread! my apologies to the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back