Gold Plate on Sony 7506 ?
Jan 25, 2003 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

badtz

100+ Head-Fier
would the gold plate on the Sony 7506 make a difference in sound quality?

over time, will the sound degrade from corrosion, or any other type of degradation ?

thanks for any help!!!

trying to decide if I should go for the 7506 [spend the extra bucks for it] or just flat out get the v6 .......

but even if the 7506 can yield better sound quality over time ... i'd rather just fork over the extra money now for them.

Jan 25, 2003 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 19
Gold plating lowers corrosion to levels where you don't generally have to worry about it at all. They don't really improve sound beyond that. When jacks and plugs corrode, the sound has to travel through that, unlike any other part of the system, where there is a good conducter(say, in a heavily corroded wire, the electricity just goes through the clean center). If you get any noticeable distortion from corrosion, it is generally thin enough in normal metal plugs to just rotate the plug, and scratch it off - It's not a huge problem. Other than that, the 7506 doesn't appear to have any differences. One thing: The V6 and 7506 are known to be built very well, and to last 10+ years commonly. In this situation, gold plugs are a plus, because if you leave it to rot on the shelf for 10 years and pick it up again, it doesn't 'rot' as much
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: A sidenote: mlchang is selling a pair for $90 shipped

Jan 25, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 19
hmmm.... maybe i should go with the 7506 then ?

is there any online retailers that sell them cheap? [i'll looking into PM'ing michang]

also :: would doin' the beyer pad mod mess up the sound quality? [or improve it?]

Jan 25, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by badtz
would the gold plate on the Sony 7506 make a difference in sound quality?

over time, will the sound degrade from corrosion, or any other type of degradation ?

thanks for any help!!!

trying to decide if I should go for the 7506 [spend the extra bucks for it] or just flat out get the v6 .......

but even if the 7506 can yield better sound quality over time ... i'd rather just fork over the extra money now for them.

Doesn't all gold plating eventually wear off over time?
The repeated insertion and removal of headphone plugs would only serve to speed up this process.

Jan 25, 2003 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 19
And even nickel plating wears out quite quickly. My first pair of Koss Porta Pros - which weren't used all that much - have had the nickel plating on their plug worn completely out, exposing the base metal that can't make reliable contact inside the jack.

As for gold-plated connectors, the ones on my headphones have lasted quite a long time, except for those on a couple of pairs of on-the-ear, low-end, open-air Sony headphones (which are begininng to physically peel off).

Jan 26, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 19
I know the 7506 has the gold plated plug, but, the V6 does not? I think it came also with the golden plug right, it is a scrwew self cleaning or something like that, I think even the v600 has it....well to the date I have some of those it does not corrode or get weared so easy, and I used them a lot, at the end if it get damaged you just unscrew it and replace it, I think Sony sell it....

Jan 26, 2003 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 19
Once it begn to wear out is an irreversible process, you can protect it first with some contact cleaner or silicon base product, or simply use the adaptor all the time, or maybe an small extension, if the adaptor or the extension get corroded, just throw it out and repace it, this way the wear an tear will be only over the adaptor plug....is just an idea....

Jan 26, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 19
FWIW, The plug on my V6s looks practically pristine. Barely any scratches at all. I think these have a fairly thick layer of nickel on them so they don't wear out easily.

I've had them for 2 years. If you are going to use a 1/4" plug you really don't have to worry about it because you can just buy another adaptor to replace the screw on one. Also you could always cut off the bad plug and solder on a new one.

Jan 26, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 19
according to the pictures on the website the V6 seems to have also a gold plated plug, or is just a mistake of the picture??? Is it gold plated or nickel plated???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back