Going Wireless! Sennheiser Momentum 2 On-Ear vs. Beats Solo 3
Dec 30, 2016 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jmp15

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for my first set of wireless headphones and the choice is down to the Sennheiser Momentum On-ear Wireless M2 OEBT ($230) and the Beats Solo 3 ($250 at Amazon).  I listen to rock, blues and classical.  I am firmly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem with an iPhone 6 and 2016 12" MacBook. My music files are all AAC 256kbps VBR.

I was able to try out the Beats at the Apple Store. They are a bit bass-heavy for my taste, but I was able to balance that out somewhat with the EQ settings in iTunes.  Ordinarily, I would not have given this brand any attention but for the fact that they integrate seamlessly with Apple products, which is a huge convenience.

My gut tells me that the Senns will be better audio and build quality for my tastes, but I am really drawn to the Apple system integration of the Beats.

Any thoughts by those who have compared these two headphones are appreciated.

Thanks!!

-Mike

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 7
The beats solo are pretty good. One other thing you may like is supposedly Apple has done some serious improvements on their Bluetooth and the solo 3 has rediculous range and their estimate of 40 hours battery life is actually on the LOW side, with one reviewer I trust (for everything but audio quality) saying he found they lasted about 54 hours at medium volume.
The sound is the best beats can get, so no other options there. Like all beats headphones, not terrible, but not great. They are permanently in the "good" category for me.
There is another option for you as well, the definitive technology symphony 1. From the reviews I've seen for it it rivals, and may possibly even best the sennheisers for sound. Just another option.
The momentum wireless's biggest problem I've seen is size, the earcups fitting almost like on ears for people with larger than average ears. Other than that, it was considered the best wireless headphone when I was doing my research earlier this year, but that category has gotten amazingly competitive recently. I suggest looking pretty extensively, as the category has grown pretty exponentially here recently.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply. The Definitive Technology phones are going to be out of my budget and also look to be a bit larger profile than what I am looking for.  And yes, the killer battery life and range of the Beats is a big selling point.

Between the Sennheiser M2 OEBT and Beats Solo 3 I am having a tough time deciding. That there are none of the Senns available for me to demo is a drawback.  I'm also not sure the Senns will mate up to my Apple devices well and the voice prompts seem a little cheesy.  There are not many on-line reviews for the Senns, with most of the attention going t the pricier over ear (AEBT) models.

Dec 30, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Not sure about the wireless version, but the momentum on ear was reviewed by innerfidelity, and they are the ones that the beats solo 2 (exact same sound as the solo 3) are compared to. Both are on the innerfidelity wall of fame, so just head there to see sound comparisons.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 7
The Sony 100ABNs are gradually dropping out of consideration and my focus is now on the Beats Solo 3 vs the Sennheiser M2 OEBT.

Can anyone offer a direct comparison of these, particularly on how they perform with Apple products (iPhone & MacBook)?

Thanks!

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 7
Does anyone else have any direct experience with these two headphones?  I see the Momentums have been re-branded as the "HD-1" as of yesterday, presumably for legal reasons.

I'm leaning toward the Beats due to the compatibility with Apple devices.  I've read numerous complaints on the Momentums with regard to unreliable pairing with Apple products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back