Going VDA-2 and returning DAC1 USB... downgrade?
Sep 25, 2007 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I've decided to return my DAC1 USB. I like it and think that it has a nice sound with the PS-1 but I just can't swallow the price tag. I know there are things I'm paying for that I'll never use, such as the headphone amp.

The threads I've seen on the VDA-2 seems like it compares favorably to the bigger players like the DAC1 and DA10. My question is if I go PC > HAG USB > VDA-2/VAC-1 > Lisa III > PS-1 is this going to be a good set-up? Will it be a downgrade? Will the HAG USB throw a wrench in the DAC's SQ?

Don't get me wrong the DAC1 is a very nice one stop shop but it's not wowing me and I think that is probably because of what I'm expecting for $1300.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 9
I just got a VDA-2 and have been thoroughly enjoying it. It is not burned in yet and I don't have high-end interconnects or a high end amp (Corda MOVE). But man is it nice. I just read some reviews before I bought mine and like you said, it compared favorably with the more expensive options. Also, a lot of people have recommended the VDA-2 over the DAC1 for whatever reason.

So, I can't tell you how it compares to the DAC1 but I can tell you that I am really happy with mine. I don't even have the VAC-1 PSU to go with it (yet!).

BTW, I run mine from my Audigy 2 via coax out and my XBOX360 via optical. I may misunderstand you but it doesn't have a USB port on it. I am not familiar with the HAG USB of which you speak.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 9
You also have a neat growth path to a balanced setup using the CIAudio products like SE138 has done. Have you checked out his balanced setup?

Attempting to answer you quality question, I do not think you will notice a difference.

Sep 25, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks guys! Keep the opinions coming!

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Any particular reason you will be using a HAG USB? I mean why not get an inexpensive card like the Chaintech to get an optical out to the CI dac?
confused.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any particular reason you will be using a HAG USB? I mean why not get an inexpensive card like the Chaintech to get an optical out to the CI dac?
confused.gif

Because I'd have no idea what to do with it
blink.gif
I'm not a tech guy at all... plug n play is all I do when it comes to that stuff.

I've read good things about the HAG USB, do you not like it?

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 9
almost there, but the CI Audio does not have a complete balanced solution.
their power amps/dac have balanced but sadly not their preamps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also have a neat growth path to a balanced setup using the CIAudio products like SE138 has done. Have you checked out his balanced setup?

Attempting to answer you quality question, I do not think you will notice a difference.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 9
VDA2/VAC is a wonderful sounding DAC. It has the best treble energy I heard among many DAC I use to own in the past. Since I exclusively use HD650/HD580, the synergy is just out of this world....plus, going balanced scales the HD650 to another level.

I placed two VHP2/VAC in with 0 and 180 phase RCA balanced connections creating a very nice balanced system. This concept can be done with any two matching amps...say two Lisa III amps
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

There is also a matter of recabling the headphone to terminate in two TRS 1/4 stereo plugs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenhwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
almost there, but the CI Audio does not have a complete balanced solution.
their power amps/dac have balanced but sadly not their preamps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back