Going unamped...
Oct 10, 2004 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

widds2v

100+ Head-Fier
For some odd reason I just hate dealing with amps, I thought it was the size of my zmoy (in an extruded hammond case), so I bought a Xin supermini, but it just is a pain to me as well... so I'm looking to go unamped. I love the sound of my new etys, unfortuantly they lack on the "amount" of bass, while having excellent tight bass, I'm looking for more.

I will be stationed aboard a ship for the next 3 years, so space will be a limitation. Willing to go with a pair of full headphones, closed will be the best option imo. What are the best unamped closed cans in the sub $300 range? Headphones I have owned are Senn 212s, Shure E2s, and now Ety ER4s.. love the ety sound like I said.

edit: Some more info, will be using a 4g ipod as a source. Music I like ranges from trance to Avril Lavigne, Evanescence, Blink 182, Tool, etc.

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 9
Is space an issue? If not A900s at $210 inc shipping would probably do you well. If space is an issue then maybe Beyer 250-80s would do the job as they're a bit more compact and robust, but they'd probably improve with an amp. The Sony V6 unamped might be ok, but nowhere near the quality of the Etys.

You'd probably be better off just using a graphic equaliser to boost the E4's bass.

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #3 of 9
I've tried every equalizer setting on the ipod with the etys, and every single one that offers a boost in bass starts to distort it at higher volumes, or in tracks with lots of bass. Either want a pair of cans that offers nice bass with the ipod at no EQ or one that doesn't distort with various EQs on (although it could be the recording, but all of my files are either 220kbs VBR, uberrips, 320kbs LAME or apple lossless). If I go one pair of headphones and no amp space really isn't that much of an issue, smaller the better but I'm not going to sacrifice quality for it as this will probably be my headphones for the next 3 years while I'm away.

Oct 10, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 9
My Dell DJ drives my Beyer 250-80's rather well.
Take that with a grain of salt, since I have no complaints with the DJ driving my ER-4s's, even though I usually use an amp with the ER-4s's only becuase I can turn down the volume much quicker with an amp.

Oct 10, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 9
You love a seemingly highly resolved, clear sound with a restricted soundstage, but need more bass.

The Sennheiser HD25-1 is your answer. It delivers exactly the above. It happens to be one of the most efficient headphones on the market, it's robust as well as highly isolating.

If an open headphone will do, take a look at the Grado SR80 + Todd's (link at top of page) Flat Pads.

Oct 10, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 9
After reading a lot of reviews it seems... HD25s or AT A900s. Both are similar price (audiocubes only place that sells 900s?) too. Does anyone have both that can comment heh..

Oct 10, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 9
headphones.com.au (or headphone.com.au) sells AT cans too. To pick between them you should proabably look at size, comfort, and isolation. To bad my headphone review system isn't up yet (hopefully very soon though), it lets you compare headphones directly, and you could see right off what each one's good at
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2004 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by widds2v
After reading a lot of reviews it seems... HD25s or AT A900s. Both are similar price (audiocubes only place that sells 900s?) too. Does anyone have both that can comment heh..

I had a pair of HD25-1's but returned them because they fit like a vise and I found them to be quite sibilant. I now have a pair of A900's that I absolutely love. I also listened briefly to a pair of HD-280's at a local Guitar Center store unamped from my 3G iPod and thought they sounded pretty good and were comfortable, but at the time I wasn't ready to buy anything. Of the three, I thought the 280's were the most isolating, but the A900's have the better sound - very clean, with reasonable bass but not excessive. I use them all the time unamped with my iPod and they're wonderful, but they are a bit large.

HTH - Good luck!

Oct 10, 2004 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 9
The vice like fit goes away pretty soon... and yes, they can be sibilant, but the response is closer to the Etys.

Oh yes, a little note for the fit of the HD25-1. The closer the top of the headband is adjusted to your head, the more stable it is and the less leverage it exerts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back