Going to Tokyo: used Stax in Japan ?
Dec 3, 2007 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

japomono

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I will be in Tokyo for two weeks later this month. I saw some advices about shops to visit in Sasaki's blog.

But reading another thread about Stax gear ringed a bell: are there places where I could find used gear ? traditionally, second hand in Japan is quite cheap and in very good state.

I'll also spend some time in Kyoto and Osaka, so if you have good addresses in Kansai, please share !

Thanks a lot / どもあろがとう

Dec 4, 2007 at 3:02 AM Post #2 of 13
ri ga tou, not ro ga tou

:wink:

Dec 4, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 13
Probably not want you want to hear but I think Internet shopping is really where the best deals are to be had. I'm just afriad you will be looking in the wrong places for deals when you could be seeing Japan. Traditionally Japan has had very very high costumer service. (I'm always surprised by the un-energetic, un-smiling service people when I'm home.) But good costumer service comes at a cost. Shopping online pretty much cuts anything by 20%. Maybe more if you look around and wait for the deals. Domestic shipping costs are pretty much non-existant, however, it does lead me to the question of how I plan to get all my stuff home...

my $0.02

Dec 4, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 13
Thank you for taking time on my blog
smily_headphones1.gif

You will have a good chance to find used Stax at Fujiya avic at Nakano.
This is their home page for used gears, at this moment they are carrying three items. check this page again when you arrive here.

Fujiya avic home page for used gears

Take notice, our amps run on 100V, not 110V or 220V. And wall wart plug may differ to yours.

Anyway, have a safe trip here!

Sasaki

Quote:

Originally Posted by japomono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I will be in Tokyo for two weeks later this month. I saw some advices about shops to visit in Sasaki's blog.

But reading another thread about Stax gear ringed a bell: are there places where I could find used gear ? traditionally, second hand in Japan is quite cheap and in very good state.

I'll also spend some time in Kyoto and Osaka, so if you have good addresses in Kansai, please share !

Thanks a lot / どもあろがとう

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

This is their home page for used gears, at this moment they are carrying three items. check this page again when you arrive here.

Take notice, our amps run on 100V, not 110V or 220V. And wall wart plug may differ to yours.

Sasaki

I found a lot of second-hand instrument shops in Ocha-no-mizu last time I was in Japan (next time I *will* get that electric violin I still regret not buying :p) and I think I saw a couple of audio shops as well. Do you know if there's anything to be had there when it comes to headphones? None of my friends over there are particulary interested in audio so I figured I'd ask now that I have the chance, since we're on the subject.

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Sasaki

That is definitely a fun shop to go to. I used to go there practically every weekend when I lived near Tokyo. Anyway, for the OP's convenience, here is how to get there (since finding places in Japan takes some practice).

Take the JR chuuou line past Shinjuku to Nakano. When you arrive, take the north exit (I think its marked Nakano Broadway). You will be at a little bus stop area. Go straight out of the station exit and into this big covered walkway. After passing a bunch of shops you will enter this large building called Nakano Broadway. Unless it has moved, the Fujiya Avec Digital Style Shop is on the 3rd floor. There are also some other Fujiya Avec stores in the same building devoted to used CDs, DVDs, pro video equipment, etc. The building will probably have lots of westerners wandering around it visiting Mandarake the cosplay shops. Anyway, have fun!

Dec 4, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks a lot for the pointers guys !

And about the japanese spelling, I must have been a little tired indeed when I wrote the first post :)

Impression from a first glance at Fujiya's prices : Senn's are expensive wrt. to europe, Stax's can be cheap.

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 13
This must be the Audio Union Ochanomizu store. The 4th floor is the accessory booth and they have some headphones related items. However, they are mainly carrying highend cables.
You will have some chance to see used headphones there but not so many.

here is the web.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blipmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a lot of second-hand instrument shops in Ocha-no-mizu last time I was in Japan (next time I *will* get that electric violin I still regret not buying :p) and I think I saw a couple of audio shops as well. Do you know if there's anything to be had there when it comes to headphones? None of my friends over there are particulary interested in audio so I figured I'd ask now that I have the chance, since we're on the subject.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

This must be the Audio Union Ochanomizu store. The 4th floor is the accessory booth and they have some headphones related items. However, they are mainly carrying highend cables.
You will have some chance to see used headphones there but not so many.

here is the web.

Ah, yup that's the one. Oh, well. I'll try the other shop you mentioned when I go back. Though, the second hand Audio Union one seems to have a couple of things hifi at least (the "high end chuu-ko-kan"). On the other hand I'll return to Ocha-no-mizu for the second hand instrument shops alone and that violin/cello shop.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks anyway!

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 13
Sasaki, I went to Fujiya in Nakano and got a used SRS-005A. It was no incredible deal, but it is mint and I could try it out and compare it with an HD-650 paired with a big amp.

I really like it. It is better than my ER-4 + Porta Corda. The comparision with the HD-650 was quick and done with records I was not used to; but while the Senn sounds more relaxed and feels more comfy, the little stax set has an impressive dynamic. Having used for a few hours now, it appears to be not very tyring from the sound point of view.

The soundstage seems closer to the one of a full-sized headphone than to IEMs.

BTW, I made a stop at Akihabara on the way back, to pick up a little adapter (mini-jack -> RCA). It seems some of the old style Akiba shops have some second hand / vintage stuff. I saw some cameras and had no time to look for sound accessories, but wouldn't be surprised if one could find some headphones over there.

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back