Going to Timbuktu... no, seriously!
May 6, 2004 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hempcamp

Headphoneus Supremus
For those of you who were wondering, I was finally sent assignment to serve in the Peace Corps today as a health extension (HIV/AIDS prevention) volunteer in Mali, a large, dusty, landlocked West African nation containing the city/region of Timbuktu.

I leave on August 10 with little more in the way of music than a pair of PX-200s, an iPod, and a Belkin AA battery pack. 27 months without running water or electricity shan't be too bad!

After August 10, I'll try to pop in to head-fi from an internet café from time to time and post a few comments about what's going on.

--Chris

May 6, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 10
I've never even known where Timbuktu really was until now.
tongue.gif

Hope things go well for you... I imagine you're going to be so busy that you probably won't get the chance to enjoy music very often.

- Chris

May 6, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 10
That's a bummer. I was hoping, one day, to meet you.
frown.gif

Take a solar battery charger and a set of rechargeables. You'll probably thank yourself, or me.

I wish you the best of luck. You sound, truly, like an amazing guy.

May 7, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Doh! I served in the peace corp 85-87 in Sierra Leone West Africa. I YEARN to return. I loved, hated, suffered, rejoiced, tolerated, my experience. It was intense and formative. I wish you well.

PS-- I did have some herbal smokes provided to me by the locals (it was "expected") and they are no where near as potent as south miami basement underlights homegrown. So fear not. But you will find the people extremely friendly and hospitable. They may think that you have some kind of direct line to George Bush, but they will accept you and love you. You'll have the time of your life. Advice: If they tell you to eat it then eat it, don't cross you legs infront of the big guy, and by all means be yourself...don't go "native" they laugh at those of us who did...it isn't necessary.

May 7, 2004 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Wow, Timbuktu...

I hope it would be a great experience for you. Every time I watch documents about Sahara, Timbuktu is always mentioned. I would like to visit this place once.

Well, you should bring some good camera with a tripod too.

And it's worth to try a smoking water pipe (if you haven't tried yet)....

May 7, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Norbert
Doh! I served in the peace corp 85-87 in Sierra Leone West Africa.
PS-- I did have some herbal smokes provided to me by the locals (it was "expected") and they are no where near as potent as south miami basement underlights homegrown. So fear not. .

You are probably right for Sierra Leone since they seems to have a more relax legislative attitude: http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/legal_...ntries-sl.html

But I dont know about Mali...

Amicalement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back