Going to the CD Store Tomorrow!!
Mar 15, 2008 at 3:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a pair of RS-1's coming this weekend and spring break all next week, therefore I am prepared to buy around 20 cd's or so.(all my friend's ideal spring break is on some beach..mine is music. lol) So I need some recommendations. I am really wanting to get more into electronic and rock.

As for electronic, I love all of the kraftwerk stuff I've heard. I also have tapped into mezzanine and art of noise and I like both as well. With this in mind, what else should I look into?

In regards to rock, I have no idea what to look into. The pop stuff I like right now is One Republic, James Blunt, Coldplay, and Radiohead. I have been trying to get into rock, but something just has not clicked for me. I don't know where to start and I find myself trying to listen to random artist which hasn't worked. Any suggestions for a noob like me?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 20
A few suggestions for the rock side based on what you said you like, I have all of each one of the artists you listed so I'll try to list some I like that are in line with those:

R.E.M - In Time: Best of would be a good start or any album really

The National - Boxer

Red Romance - Red Romance

Shinedown - Leave a Whisper

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to check them out on amazon before going to the store tomorrow. Keep the suggestions coming!

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 20
Have you listened to much Tangerine Dream? I tend to prefer their earlier work ("Phaedra" and earlier). A good sampler of their stuff is the soundtrack for Miracle Mile, if you're interested.

Big thumbs up for the previous recommendation of Dave Matthews. My top 4 favorites of theirs are (in no particular order) "Crash", "Busted Stuff", "Before These Crowded Streets," and "Under the Table and Dreaming". Not sure I'd label them as "pop" though. More like JazzBluesRock maybe?

I'm also pretty fond of Jethro Tull. "Minstrel in the Gallery" and "Thick as a Brick" are brilliant, in my opinion. For some reason I never really got on the "Aqualung" boat though.

Based on what you've said, you might also check out some Collective Soul. "7even Year Itch" is a best of album and would give you a good feel of what they're about.

As far as music with a more harder rock edge, you can't go wrong with Led Zeppelin, Everclear, Pelican, and Metallica (pre-"...and Justice for All" anyway). For a more punkish rock, look into pre-"American Idiot" Green Day, Bad Religion, and Social Distortion.

You might want to go to the iTunes store and sample some of the recommendations you get to see if they're close to what you're looking for before you drop any hard-earned bills on actual CDs though.

Happy exploring.

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks guys, I have some ideas for rock now. Any suggestions on electronica?

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 20
Well since I won't be able to pickup the rs-1's until moday(stupid usps lol) I don't think I'm going anymore, but at least I have a to-buy list.

Mar 15, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 20
Way Out West
Massive Attack Vs The Mad Professor (Be interested as to how the RS-1's handle this record!)
Depth Charge
Spacemen 3
Thievery Corporation

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #11 of 20
Electronic:

The Knife: Silent Shout
Autechre: Incunabula

Rock/Pop:

Bat For Lashes: Fur And Gold
My Brightest Diamond: Bring Me The Workhorse
Grizzly Bear: Yellow House
Notwist: Neon Golden
The Sounds: Dying To Say This To You

Mar 15, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 20
Check out:

At-The Drive In
The Hold Steady
Youngblood Brassband
The Specials
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
Streetlight Manifesto
Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution
Catch-22 (Keasbey Nights Only)
The World/Inferno Friendship Society
Cake
Operation Ivy
The Dead Kennedys
Gogol Bordello
El Pus
Skindred
Hepcat
The Slackers

I know these all aren't strictly Rock/Pop or Electronic but you might want to check them out regardless.

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #13 of 20
Electronica: Nine inch Nails - The Fragile

Rock: Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (should be in everones library imho
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back