Going to start saving for a $400+ headphone. Looking for some recommendations
Nov 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #16 of 19
  According to people here, it does

True enough.

The thing is, there is such a subjective and objective gap between how sound is perceived that is is really hard to quantify such things.   And everyone has their own yardstick about what is good, as well.   I have read about the love Mad Dogs get as well - which is why I wanted to try out the 50s on Sunday to get a sense of what the baseline was.

The thing is, the gap between my perception of the TRP50 vs what the Mad Dogs are supposed to be is immense.  A pair of Bose on-ears I had sounded better than the TRP50s.   

So I can only think of 2 possibilities:
1/  The reviews about the quality of the Mad Dogs are a little exaggerated in absolute terms
OR
2/ Fostex  turned out a very mediocre headphone with drivers capable of such a great sound (as per the Mad Dog rep) -- which would imply a shocking lack of competence on their part

I am willing to accept that #2 might be true - but right now, without having heard the Mad Dogs and with only the TRP50s to go by, I find it hard to accept that they would improve to such a degree to come close to the performance of the HE400s/HE500s or even the Senn Momentums.   

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #17 of 19

True enough.

The thing is, there is such a subjective and objective gap between how sound is perceived that is is really hard to quantify such things.   And everyone has their own yardstick about what is good, as well.   I have read about the love Mad Dogs get as well - which is why I wanted to try out the 50s on Sunday to get a sense of what the baseline was.

The thing is, the gap between my perception of the TRP50 vs what the Mad Dogs are supposed to be is immense.  A pair of Bose on-ears I had sounded better than the TRP50s.   

1/  The reviews about the quality of the Mad Dogs are a little exaggerated in absolute terms
OR
2/ Fostex  turned out a very mediocre headphone with drivers capable of such a great sound (as per the Mad Dog rep) -- which would imply a shocking lack of competence on their part

I am willing to accept that #2 might be true - but right now, without having heard the Mad Dogs and with only the TRP50s to go by, I find it hard to accept that they would improve to such a degree to come close to the performance of the HE400s/HE500s or even the Senn Momentums.   

Well, isn't it the same driver in the Alpha Dogs as well? 

Nov 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #18 of 19
Yes, both the Mad Dog and Alpha Dogs are mods of the T50RP.  The Mad Dog modifies the comfort and damping, the Alpha Dog takes it one step further and completely changes the enclosure.

I'll personally recommend the Mad Dog any chance I can.

Nov 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #19 of 19

OR

I haven't even heard either one, but common sense suggests that a little bit of both is probably true. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back