Going to Purchase Ultimate Ear -- UE10Pro -- Question ...
Sep 11, 2005 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

rajs

Head-Fier
Hello -- I've been wanting to either pick up the UE10pro or the Sensaphonics 2Xs for sometime and finally am getting around to it (almost a year later) ... but life has been too hectic to stop and listen to music while isolated from the world *grin* until now ...

Based on reading reviews that were going back and forth amongst all the folks back then ... I decided I'd probably prefer the UE10Pro over the Sensaphonics 2XS ... even though the UE's are a little bigger and cost more $$$.

The help I need is anyone want to recommend someone COMPETENT they've dealt with in the Princeton, NJ or the Philadelphia, PA vicinity to take impressions ?

I know, I know ... call UE ... I've done that and the person place they recommended in Philly, Pa on Chesnut Street ... didn't even have anything to put in the mouth while in your mouth while getting open mouth ear impressions ... hmmmm ...

The person they recommend in New Jersey is actually way up north and would need to travel to Princeton ~ 1.5 hours and the impressions would end up costing almost 200 bucks when all done and told ...

So just wondering if you've got any suggustions before I blow another $ 200.

Thanks

- raj

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 23
I can understand your concern, as I've been there.

At the end, I just went to the UE Office at Irvine (yes, from UK). I paid additional $200 in order to get the UE10s done for the next day, so I could come back to get them and to test them there just in case something was wrong. The fit I got is just perfect. Besides my data are stored there now so I don't need new molds for future custom headphones.

I know this is a quite radical approach, but if you think you can justify a few days off in California, then I'd go for it. Consider them as a well deserved holiday!

Cheers

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
I can understand your concern, as I've been there.

I'm also leaning towards the UE-10s. Impressions? Did you compare with the Prophonics? Are you using a headphone amp with them/comments/suggestions re: their sensitivity?

Thanks.

Sep 11, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aural Fixation
I'm also leaning towards the UE-10s. Impressions? Did you compare with the Prophonics? Are you using a headphone amp with them/comments/suggestions re: their sensitivity?

Thanks.

I'm quite happy with them. There are better (but bigger) cans out there IMHO and the soundstage is not great, but still is amazing how good these little things can sound with a proper seal. Highly recommended. I hope they will last. Considering how convenient they are, I'd say these would be the keepers if I was forced to get rid of all my phones except only one of them (God don't ever allow such a thing!)

I didn't compare with prophonics as at the time I didn't know about a good place in london to get the molds (now I know one, I might try them one day, although it seems like there are some issues lately, so maybe they are not built to last. I hope that's not the case.

I can't comment on the amp issue. I'm using the integrated amp of my MiniDAC (kind of Pimeta?) most of the time, or straight from several iPods. As you can see is not a fair comparation. I can't try only the amp. The amped-unamped test only can be done with different sources.

I'm considering these days the Headroom Microamp with Desktop Module, as I don't need long battery life and my main concern is SQ. The 3 position gain switch there is quite convenient for the UEs.

Cheers

Sep 11, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
I know this is a quite radical approach, but if you think you can justify a few days off in California, then I'd go for it. Consider them as a well deserved holiday!

Cheers

Sorry, but *Irvine* is your idea of a well-deserved holiday?

blink.gif

Andy

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz

blink.gif

Andy

The sun might be a nice change for UK people when it shows through the smog...

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyKatz

blink.gif

Andy

Heck yeah. Not too far from Disneyland, lol. But seriously, Irvine's a great launch pad - want to go to San Diego, hour drive... want to go to LA, hour drive... want to go to Vegas... etc.

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aural Fixation

Thanks.

When I added treble boost (on the ipod) for the prophonics, I prefered this sound to the ue10 with a flat eq. The ue10 do not need any eq. I'm back to using the ue10 again since the prophonics right side completly died on me (not under warranty and others have posted problems too). Once I got used to the ue10 sound again, it's great. The bass is a little flatter and not as much fun as the prophonics but rest of the sound is better. The soundstage is ok but is lacking even compared to the RS-1, which are not known to have great soundstage either.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 23
Based on my experiences ... and seeing all of Lindrones OLD OLD posts regarding E5s, Sensa and UE ... I know I am not as much off a HEAVY bass fan as Lindrone ... I didn't love the E5's compared to the E3's ... so I suspect since Lindrone preferred the Sensa's, I'll probably prefer the UE's *grin*.

Thus my logic to go with UE's and that the Sensa's 2XS soft option is giving you all trouble after some time --- and I know I am not careful regarding portable headphones.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by rajs
Based on my experiences ... and seeing all of Lindrones OLD OLD posts regarding E5s, Sensa and UE ... I know I am not as much off a HEAVY bass fan as Lindrone ... I didn't love the E5's compared to the E3's ... so I suspect since Lindrone preferred the Sensa's, I'll probably prefer the UE's *grin*.

Thus my logic to go with UE's and that the Sensa's 2XS soft option is giving you all trouble after some time --- and I know I am not careful regarding portable headphones.

If you the money get the UE-10s over the UE-5s. Read the review forum that compares the two or the recent UE-5 review where the guy tried the 10s and notice quite a difference.

As for the price of the impressions there is a coupon on the UE website to get the impressions done for a $50 dollars. It was going to cost me $75 but I used the coupon. Use there site to find the closest place to get them gone. Maybe you already did that. Last leave you mouth open as wide as possible when you get the impression taken and you should be fine. I use my everyday and think they are great.

Just my two cents.

-Chris

2x's are nice but don't have as much detail and add bass compared to the UE-10s. Lindrone's review for whatever reason was alittle bias towards 2x's. I shared a few emails back a forth about the subject. I also read many different reviews and I decided that a wanted more detail, less bass overall, and better attack in the bass, and deeper bass.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #11 of 23
Chris -- because of the reasons you stated -- more detail, etc ... is why I leaned towards the UE10s. I read the recent review of the UE5 also and where the person had the chance to jam someone else's UE10s into their ears and liked them more for the few extra $$$.

$$$ aren't the problem for me (thankfully) so I go with the UE10 ... but want to make sure I get the right impressions done the first time ... and done the right way. Thanks for the heads up re the coupon .. I'll check that out.

- raj

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
Heck yeah. Not too far from Disneyland, lol. But seriously, Irvine's a great launch pad - want to go to San Diego, hour drive... want to go to LA, hour drive... want to go to Vegas... etc.

That's exactly what I did: San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas, Colorado, Death Valley, Yosemite, Sequoias... And the UE10s (and iPod60 and E4c) as souvenirs.
icon10.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
If you the money get the UE-10s over the UE-5s. Read the review forum that compares the two or the recent UE-5 review where the guy tried the 10s and notice quite a difference.

I can't agree more. Another of the advantages of going there is that I could try the whole range of UE products (Being the UE Hybrid a bit of let down for me although I'm sure they will be good for hip hop. I was expecting something else I guess).

The UE-5s might sound nice, but my mistake was that I tried them after trying the UE-10s. You can't go back. As simple as that.

Cheers

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 23
Contact President Mindy Harvey @ Ultimate Ears and ask for audiologist Beth Orliss in the Northern NJ area. She did my ear impressions and she did not fail me. They fit perfectly everytime from day one. The bill was $130 USD for the audiologist ear impressions and she can drive to your home for an appointment. If you are serious about the Ultimate Ears Ue-10 PRO, then you must get Beth Orliss to do your ear impressions especially if you live in New Jersey. I do not know her contact information.

Sep 11, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 23
Welly -- Thanks for joining in ... I've actually spoken with Mindy in the past and also Beth Orliss (She's the one I referred to in my original post that would cost me ~ 200 bucks -- for where I work).

Any ways I suspect if I don't hear anything back in the next couple days ... from anyone else here ... I pull the trigger and have Beth come down to Princeton, NJ and get the impressions done.

Now I am just waiting to have Lindrone join this thread and tell me I should purchase the Sensa's instead

Take care,

- raj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back