going to inherit a HUGE vinyl collection
Dec 4, 2005 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jefemeister

Headphoneus Supremus
Just found out that my ex-girlfriend's dad is supposedly wiling me his entire multi-thousand piece vinyl collection. He doesn't like her husband, she isn't interested in it, and he and I used to listen to it a lot together back when she and I were dating a few years ago(sorry for all the pronouns.) We'll see what actually happens, but I think it's pretty sweet on a whole bunch of levels. My mom, who is still good friends with the ex's parents, just found this out in a recent email from them. Supposedly he asked "would Jeff be interested...." to which my mom rightly replied "I'm sure he would be delighted..."
very_evil_smiley.gif
cool.gif

edit: just so no one gets the wrong idea, the man is in good health.

Dec 4, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 14
Lost the girl, got the vinyl. Oh, sweet melodious revenge!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Lost the girl, got the vinyl. Oh, sweet melodious revenge!
smily_headphones1.gif

Stole the exact words out of my mouth.

Lost the girl, kept the vinyl - What a pimp!

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 14
Let's see, how about starting a savings funds towards a VPI TNT TT. That is one nice vinyl rig.
What rig did he used with the vinyl collection? Does he takes good care of the wax? Altough, I can hardly imagine someone with a multi-K album collection not being careful with it. Congrats in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 14
well, I didn't want to start this train of thought but he's about 50-60 and quite a bit overweight, and an ex-smoker. Really really nice guy though. One of the nicest/coolest people I've ever met actually.

He actually has an older Yamaha (I think) table with the automatic arm deal--the kind that finds tracks automatically. Nothing fancy but respectable in its day. He wasn't much of one for sound quality. He was more the obsessive collector type. a $1000 turntable to him is just money he could have bought a few hundred more records to listen too. He's got them all cataloged with little labels and a matching database and everything. They are all well cared for but nothing crazy. No cleaner, etc but they're standing vertically in a air-conditioned/heated part of the house and he has a dehumidifier.

He has a hell of a movie, reel-to-reel, and CD collection too. Not sure if those are part of the deal.

Dec 4, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #8 of 14
wow. an r2r collection? start visiting him, jefe, and complimenting his r2r collection. r2r is the ultimate for personal use, believe me.

Dec 4, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 14
If you can, (or are doing so already) why not spend more time with the guy and share in the vinyl experience with him? It would also allow you to learn more and help with the upkeep of the collection.

Heck, maybe even bring over a better TT and perhaps headphone gear/speaker gear to have him have a "proper" listen.
wink.gif

-Ed

Dec 4, 2005 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 14
Wow!! I'm impressed!! Pretty much any girlfriend that I've ever had where I knew the parents at all they pretty much threw me off the bus as soon as we broke up. Tells me that they think you're the one who got away.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Living well really is the best "revenge".
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 14
yeah, she got married last year and both her parents really hate the guy (with good reason.) They always did and always will love me, I think they saw us getting marrried eventually. It honestly might have happened except I went to Michigan and she stayed in Pennsylvania and long distance only works so long. I would hang out with her dad some more but he also lives in PA, and I would be a little uncomfortable with it because...well, I guess that part of my life is just over you know? Don't want to rock the marriage boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back