Going to Guitar Center 2morrow...some q's
Mar 25, 2006 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
I have about $300, give or take, to blow on anything. I read from a post in a Search a few days back that G.C. ordered a UM2 for him! I think that a UM2 would nicely complement my super.fi's (Shure's line does not interest me). If this is the case, maybe I can get away with ordering headphones, like the AKG K701
evil_smiley.gif

Anybody ever request G.C to order something not regularly in their catalog? What should I say to...convince...them to do it?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for your replies!

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 12
If they deal with that vendor, they'll generally do it for you, but you may not be able to get them to budge on the price. Hence, ordering online may be cheaper.

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 12
If you decide to buy some of the higher-end headphones that they don't regularly carry in stock, they will have to special order them for you. But be warned, they WILL tell you that you CANNOT get a refund for a special order so make sure it is exactly what you want before you order them.

They can order Beyerdynamic DT880's, AKG's, and Senns that I know of. They can probably get more brands than that though. I am sure they won't have a problem special ordering the K701's for you either.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Hmmm...so, what should i order?

AKG K701?
Westone UM2?

i know they have vast differences in each one, but...gah, I just need to know what you guys think!

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Hmmm...so, what should i order?

AKG K701?
Westone UM2?

i know they have vast differences in each one, but...gah, I just need to know what you guys think!

I say all you need is one pair of IEM. And you already have the Super.fi, so get the K701!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

I say you all you need is one pair of IEM. And you already have the Super.fi, so get the K701

There is much wisdom in Lsportline43's words, and I hope you'll take them to heart. You're not going to get the sound you want by getting another IEM.

The AKG-701 or the less expensive DT880 are nice phones that work with all sorts of amps, should you choose that route. I'm impressed by the 701's detail and clarity.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 12
...Think they can special-order Grados?
evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, do you think they can?

Maybe...they can order an AKG1000!

Edit: The kinds of music/artists I listen to:

Eric Clapton
The Beatles
Elvis Presley
Michael Jackson
jazz; Fourplay

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 12
Okay, I've decided to fly (not literally) with the AKG K701. Question is, I'm gonna be hecka tight on money after this, and I may be about to start another relationship (with a girl, of course
evil_smiley.gif
). What amp should I look towards that gives me good performance for low, low, looow cost?

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Okay, I've decided to fly (not literally) with the AKG K701. Question is, I'm gonna be hecka tight on money after this, and I may be about to start another relationship (with a girl, of course ). What amp should I look towards that gives me good performance for low, low, looow cost?

Depending on the source, a PA2V2 or a Total Airhead may be good. For a little higher end you could look at a Hornet, Micro Amp, Gilmore Lite or maybe an X-Can V3.

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 12
I would definately try out the DT770's just to get to know what they sound like since they are referenced so often. I've got my eye on it further down the line

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 12
I would rather spend my $$$ at TTVJ or headroom since they already HAVE high end cans in stock... but thats just me.

Mar 25, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I would rather spend my $$$ at TTVJ or headroom since they already HAVE high end cans in stock... but thats just me.

And you would be buying from a site sponsor, which is always a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back