Going to get the Audio Technica M50, just need help on deciding a model.
Nov 2, 2012 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sandy987

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am new to this forum (please tell me if this is the wrong topic >.<) and I am thinking of getting a pair of ATH-M50's.

However, I do not know whether to get the straight cabled version or the coiled cable version.

I will be using these headphones at home, as well as on the go (with my phone + FiiO E06).

Can you please tell me which version will be more comfortable to use on the go? I would probably be threading the headphone cable under my shirt in any case.

Unfortunately, I live in New Zealand and I do not know of any local stores that stock these headphones, so I cannot judge for myself.

Thanks,

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 3
Tough call. The cable is almost 10 feet long in either case but I personlly would prolly go with the straight cable and roll it up in my pocket or something.

But what I did was buy a modified version of them from Soundprofessionals.com in the US. You might find someone who can do this for you in AU. They just add a 3.5mm jack so the cable can be removable. I had a 4 foot straight cable when I took them with me and the longer cable for at home.

Hope that helps.

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi there,

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, purchasing from soundprofessionals.com would be prohibitively expensive for me. I cannot also find any place more local to me that sells modified ATH-M50's.

I have looked up the cable lengths and although the straight one is over 3 metres, the coiled cable is only 1.2 metres when unstretched. 1.2 metres is a sufficiently small length and I think I can deal with that while carrying it around.

I will likely get the coiled version, I do not mind having a little bit of cable hanging around my pocket as I walk. I've also dealt with ridiculously long cables before, and it's a bit...ungainly.

Thanks for the advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back