Going to Buy a ~20GB DAP, Please Help!!
Oct 13, 2005 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Melik

100+ Head-Fier
actually, i wanted buy an iPod, but when i saw the 5G's design, specs Battery Life etc., i Changed my opinion.

the iAudio X5 looks really cool, has good features, FM radio and as far as i know it has good sound quality - but no Browsing by Artist, Song title etc. bad control (because of joystick) etc.

Would you Recommend the X5 ?

or could you recommend me other 20GB~ Players ?

Thank you!

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 28
browsing using the creative "sorting" system, which is also employed by the i-pawd is AWSOME. absoutley no manual sortiung of music is required by the user. the creatiove players (which i like...) require a fiew seconds to reboot after a restart (full, not just power cycle...) but eeh. this is mucho convienient.

the "non-auto-sorting" systems can be mannaged easily, but you must be meticulious about putting the right stuff into the right files, and stuff. not too bad really, but an iussue.

if an i-didnt-want-that-pod-either wont suit the bill, i would highly reccomed the creative players.

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #3 of 28
Actually X5 don't browse by ID3 (proper name), due to lack of support, not control,
rolleyes.gif

It navigates by folder managment - i.e how music is stored on PC = put your music into folders, e.g artist > album or genre > artist > album. Or do your own

Note, DRM music isn't yet supported, but reported firmware update will change this, apparently

I don't have an X5, but would like to help you
biggrin.gif

I have a Sony HD3, but thats been replaced by HD5. But Sony will release new players in Nov/Dec. Go to atraclife.com for info. yes, Sony's 6 months release sched is annoying as hell

You are aware 5th gen iPod batt - 30gb is 14 hrs, 60gb is 20 hrs

I'd wait one week, for reviews of new pods

I'm tempted by the X5 though as apart from reputed SQ, it has USB OTG, so I can use it to store videos then transfer (minus PC) to my PSP. imo the X5's screen is rubbish compared to PSP

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 28
yes but the X5 is a DAP and the PSP is a portable caming console...

@nikongod,

Wich Creative DAP's would you recommend ?

are there any users who can give me more ifno about the X5 ?

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 28
iaudiophile.net have good info on forum, admittedly biased, as they are a fansite

Melik, you ignore me, just 'cos I mention the PSP? I'd read as many reviews online tbh. Most will give you the same though

Thing about Creative, while I heard of good SQ (some even say the best), I never got one 'cos
a) not stylish enough - yes the world is that shallow
b) too bulky compared to opposition
c) control has always been said as needs work
d) software - I can do with one less OTT DRM mad demon, what with already having Sony's Sonic Stage
biggrin.gif

I gotta say: My 1st DAP is my Sony HD3. But I'm not gonna be biased. I'm peed with Sony. 6 months release sched = when is it a good time to get a Sony DAP? Loose connector from controls to innards to cracking buttons that have taken Sony ages to acknowledge and fix

Edit:
thats some HD3's had a loose connector
some HD5's had cracking buttons

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 28
If you want a player that browses by id3 tags, I think the Creative Zen Sleek, iRiver U10 or Apple iPod are good choices. If you want to browse by folders, then the iAudio is your best bet. Otherwise you could get the iRiver U10 or H320 which features a hybrid system that allows both id3 and folder browsing.

All the players I mentioned are all good choices. It just depends on your needs, each players feature set and price.

tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 28
try the iriver hd320 20gb dap...i have it and i love it, plus there are many features to it and "enhancements" if you check out their forums http://www.misticriver.net/forums.php

it has a color screen, radio, very good microphone (actually surprised it's that good considering it's a dap) etc i've heard people even upgrading the firmware and having movies, music videos you name it...all on their player...lot of different things you can do with it, pictures, ebooks/text etc and good battery life as well (don't buy an ipod! it's a gimmick and an overrated/overpriced product all your buying is the "name brand") and the best thing about this iriver hd320 is the fact that there is NO SOFTWARE you can plug it up to any computer and it recognizes it as an external item like a usb/external hardrive so it's really easy to start putting your music on your player instantly without software crashes and hassles etc forgot one more thing it also has a "line in" "line out" option so if you want to use this in your car or home stereo or whatever you have the option to do so

any ways that's my two cents hope it helped the only issue i had with this player is that certain songs wouldn't play due to it's codec type (i bought some albums and burned them on my computer but it was "protected") to remedy that issue i just downloaded a free version of gxtranscoder and it basically converts say an "ogg" file to an "mp3" file or whatever file it is to whatever you want wav. acc. ogg etc but other than that issue which is easily resolvable there really isn't anything bad about it oh yeah and try zdnet.com for some reviews and other places if you haven't already...for further decision making
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 28
they do not have DRM support? Surprised to hear that really

Back to topic: Creative players are pretty good, easy to use and are believed to have best SQ - at least on some of these fora. I have Zen Micro and love it but I am tempted to upgrade to Zen Sleek, especially that Photo version is around already...Cowon x5 is tempting too, but I think I prefer id3 tags to folders.
GSTom1 got the point, it all depends an your needs. Do you need fm tuner? Do you need picture viewing and colour screen? Do you use EQ, do you need custom EQ or presets are enough? Are you going to listen to audiobooks?
(then look out for bookmarks feature) and so on... There is plenty of these devices out there so I am sure you'll find what you are looking for... good luck!
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 28
ok first of all, thank you for your help.

@LFC_SL,
yes i agree, creatives dap's are too bulky and ugly, but the Sleek isn't bad...

and the sony's, they look cool but are expensive and you have too use sonicstage...

@GSTom1

i need something with 20GB, the U10 has max. 1GB...
but the H320 is so beautiful and it has good feautres...

i think im now between the H320 and the X5...

@antiant,

yes the H320 is cool, but what about the price ?

@Behemot,

actually i would prefer id3 tags too but i dunno
biggrin.gif

now i think im going to buy the X5 or the H320, they're both cool - wich of them is better ?

could you please write the Pro's and Con's ?

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #13 of 28
so i'll go for the X5, but i just want to know 2 things

• Is The FM Radio Good ? i mean is it worth listening to it ?
  • Cowon Gives a 1 Year Warranty, is this warranty international ? Are There Technical Supports in Europe?

Thanks

Oct 16, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 28
^ what are you on about?

DURABILITY / BUILD QUALITY:
The X5 is built as well as many other players such as the iPod or the Sony HD5, and features aluminium panels on the front and back. The back has moulded-in mini feet so that the panel doesn't get scratched as much and is a nice touch. However the H320, despite the lack of fancy metal bits is actually noticeably better built. One thing I have to say about iRiver's recent products, despite all the problems I have with their sometimes flaky firmware and software, is that they are really well built. Also, all the connections are built in to the H320. The power, USB and line in/out on the X5 are added via a separate 'subpack'. The connector for this is quite flimsy and the possibility of breakage is ever-present. The cradle is pretty much a necessity in my opinion for the X5, and it's the first thing I picked up.

Which part of that paragraph was biased?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back