Going to attend the PGA championship next weekend - any tips?
Aug 4, 2007 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
First, I'm not a golfer. The only tournaments are I watch on t.v. are majors.

One thing I was wondering if there are any cool under the radar golfers to follow for a round, you know so I'm not fighting a huge gallery.

Or is following the big guys (Woods, Els, Sing, Mickelson...etc) not really bad?

Can anyone give me some advice to maximize my time or cool things I should do?

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 14
I went to Balthusrol in NJ for the PGA championship a couple years ago.

It was a lot of fun, but obviously there were a TON of people and getting a good view of the golfers themselves was kinda tough. To get the most out of your spectating time, I recommend finding a hole you kind of like and just sticking by it for a while, watching as golfers play through. I remember they had set up bleachers at this one short hole, less than 200 yards, and the green was a little island in the middle of a pond. We were able to watch everyone spill into the drink, which was fun, and we did see some scrub score a hole in one. If you just want to watch the big timers, it's going to be hard regardless since they're going to attract such a big crowd. I say just spend the day walking around, enjoying the weather, and watching whoever you can.

Have fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To get the most out of your spectating time, I recommend finding a hole you kind of like and just sticking by it for a while, watching as golfers play through.

That sounds like good advice. Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking forward to it.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 14
Is there any chance you could borrow some K1000s, Floats, or maybe even CD3000s and wear them so we can recognize you on TV (I'm guessing if they saw a guy wearing one of these headphones they'd at least shoot to him once)?

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 14
Be sure and scream out after every shot "In the hole". The players love it and it adds to the TV coverage and enjoyment of those around you.

Be sure to bring a camera so that you can snap mid swing pictures of your favorite. A cell phone too.

In all seriousness be prepared for the day to be hot and sunny. A good hat with a wide brim, not baseball, sunblock and plenty of water and sun screen.

Go online and find the best viewing site then get there early and stake out a spot. Watch everyone come through and follow the leaders to the finish. One spot that is normally not too bad is on a par 5 where the drives land, maybe about 300 yards out. Not too crowded and you get to see everyones second shot. You see a lot of the players up close when they miss the fairway.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 14
What's great to do is to lag behind every hole while watching. For example, watch the players tee off, follow them to the green and watch them put. Then stay at that green and watch the next set of players tee off and finish putting. Then follow them to the next hole, and watch them drive, stay at the tee, and watch them finish from the tee. Then watch the next set from the tee, move onto the green, watch them finish, and repeat.

You'll watch a big chunk of golfers this way, and IMO, it's better than following just the big players around. You also see the entire course while not attaching to just one pair of golfers.

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by brrritish! /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Follow tiger

Pay attention when Tiger tees off. The head you save may be your own. (He sometimes gets a bit wild off the tee. He nailed a lady at the British Open a couple weeks ago.)

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pay attention when Tiger tees off. The head you save may be your own. (He sometimes gets a bit wild off the tee. He nailed a lady at the British Open a couple weeks ago.)

Yeh, took her to the ground. I was airlifted off my golf course 3 years ago when i got struck on top of the head, i didnt know what hit me. It was also -2 celsius which wasnt fun

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At Bathusrol, Tiger drove way out of bounds once and he had to go find the ball. It was kind of crazy because he had such a big crowd watching him and he had to push through the crowd. He walked right past me, about two feet away, which was cool
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At Bathusrol, Tiger drove way out of bounds once and he had to go find the ball. It was kind of crazy because he had such a big crowd watching him and he had to push through the crowd. He walked right past me, about two feet away, which was cool
smily_headphones1.gif

did you scream:

"GETINTHEHOLETIGERRRRRRRRRRR"

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks john_jcb and Redo; good tips to employ.

--

I may not be a golfer, but when I was younger, I did caddy Southern Hills for a couple of years. One good thing about the course is the quantity of shade. Which is fortunate, because it's one hilly mofo, resting in in a humid valley off a river plane. The forecast calls for temps in the upper 90's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back