Going nuts with ground noise.. please help.
Dec 19, 2016 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Copyright

100+ Head-Fier
For whatever reason when I go into games I get a wierd humming buzzing type of noise through my speakers.  I use a balanced to RCA cable to my JBL speakers.  Finally got the noise reduced using a ground loop isolator.  My Audio Outlaw 8" Subwoofer has hum even when the input isnt plugged in.  I think some of my issues are the power from teh wall.  What is crazy is if I remove my battery backup the speakers all go crazy with noise.  My Sound card is a Sound Blaster ZXR.  I know Breakers trip in my room really easily I think this is because of the GFCI breakers used which I wonder if they are causing noise.  I have never had problems like this before on any PC I have owned.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 3
  For whatever reason when I go into games I get a wierd humming buzzing type of noise through my speakers.  I use a balanced to RCA cable to my JBL speakers.  Finally got the noise reduced using a ground loop isolator.  My Audio Outlaw 8" Subwoofer has hum even when the input isnt plugged in.  I think some of my issues are the power from teh wall.  What is crazy is if I remove my battery backup the speakers all go crazy with noise.  My Sound card is a Sound Blaster ZXR.  I know Breakers trip in my room really easily I think this is because of the GFCI breakers used which I wonder if they are causing noise.  I have never had problems like this before on any PC I have owned.

The SB-ZxR line-ouputs (speaker outputs) are un-balanced, but you say your using a balanced connection to the JBL speakers?
What is the model of the JBL speakers (studio monitos)?

Assuming your using the Outlaw Audio M8 sub-woofer?
Which is not really designed to work with studio monitors, so how do you have everything connected?

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #3 of 3
Mogami makes a balanced to rca connector (not actually balanced but best method with these speakers).. this is pretty common for hooking up the JBL to sound cards and honestly was the best sounding method.  What do you mean the M8 isn't made for book shelves?  It sounds amazing and I use the Xover in the sound card to control the cutoff freq around 70hz between the book shelves and the subs.  This allows them to get louder and stay cleaner.  They are also on a set of ISO Acoustics stands.  The setup sounds really good.  I have a bit of an audio background as I used to complete (and win my class) in IASCA car audio SQ competitions.  So I have an understanding of staging and imaging as well as proper EQ and Xover adjustments.  The sound card has a Center/SUB output you can use to drive the sub in case you were wondering how I did it. I have the speakers and Sub on a Power box I built that has 10Guage wire from the wall to the box that contains 2 Power Port plugs.  Pangea power cords are ran to the book shelves and Subwoofer.  I did this to see if it helps with the noise.  I swear there is a funky ground issue in the house or the sound card it self.  I am really debating on an external option that can drive my 2.1 setup but I would probably lose my X-over ability.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back