Going insane, need new headphones.
Oct 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

AOwpr

New Head-Fier
My old headphones stopped working properly around three weeks ago, I've been listening to ultra-low quality music at really low volumes, from only one of the two sides. It's time for an upgrade...

I had purchased D1000's from Amazon, but they called to say they were out, so I think my second choice is a pair of HD555's...

Headphone type:
- Circumaural: my ears aren't particularly huge, but I like full-sized headphones.

Music:
- Classical: orchestra, piano, opera.
- Rock: indie, alternative, folk.
- Dance: techno, trance, bass.
- Gaming: mostly first-person shooters.

Where:
- Won't be taking them out of my dorm room.

Other:
- Must be extremely comfortable, I'll sometimes have them on for over eight hours with few breaks.
- Preferably open, I like to hear when people knock on my door and such. I'll consider closed if they'd sound significantly better for the music genres specified or for gaming and don't press against your head too tightly, though.

Source:
- Sound card *which I also need advice on*.
- No amp.

Budget:
- Headphones + soundcard = $200 at most, preferably $150 or less.

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 17
Open headphones for use at over 8 hours at a time, I definitely would buy the HD555 (again). The HD595 may be a better pick if you head is wider than average since I found it to have a slightly looser fit than the HD555.

But if being able to comfortably wear headphones for over 8 hours were not my first priority, I would consider other open headphones that I might prefer for your uses.

For a sound card, I use and recommend the XS71 which sells for about $25 or less.

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 17
I'd get the 595 over the 555 because of sound.

I'd probably go for a DT440 (weakest part would be the classical) or AD700 (pretty much perfect for you if it wasnt for the DnB).

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 17
AD700s and spend a lot of time listening to them, eventually you get used to the bass.

Don't let anyone tell you they don't have bass. They have it, just not much impact. It's a very polite bass, tells the facts but isn't too imposing. Personally I love it even for electronic and stuff with lots of bass.

No bass squad is on their way! Into the bunkers!
ph34r.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They have it, just not much impact. It's a very polite bass, tells the facts but isn't too imposing. Personally I love it even for electronic and stuff with lots of bass.
ph34r.gif

It has plenty of impact. Just very little volume.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Open headphones for use at over 8 hours at a time, I definitely would buy the HD555 (again). The HD595 may be a better pick if you head is wider than average since I found it to have a slightly looser fit than the HD555.

But if being able to comfortably wear headphones for over 8 hours were not my first priority, I would consider other open headphones that I might prefer for your uses.

For a sound card, I use and recommend the XS71 which sells for about $25 or less.

There's too much of a price jump between the two and not enough quality for me to justify buying a pair of HD595s though, but thanks.

Well, I suppose I could always take them off and set them on the table for a while... what'd you have in mind?

Hmm, not to be a noob, but I'm a bit wary of buying a soundcard for $28 on Amazon. Don't get me wrong--I'm not doubting you here--it's just that this is too good to be true, most other people recommend $90+ ones.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I'd get the 595 over the 555 because of sound.

I'd probably go for a DT440 (weakest part would be the classical) or AD700 (pretty much perfect for you if it wasnt for the DnB).

Again, rather pay $90 for the HD555 than twice as much for the 595s.

Well, classical sort of means a lot to me, even though I don't typically listen to it as much, and I'm on a polyphasic sleeping schedule so I'm awake and doing homework at odd hours (pumping techno for hours while everyone else sleeps), so based on your suggestions I should probably avoid those two.

Quote:

AD700s and spend a lot of time listening to them, eventually you get used to the bass.

Don't let anyone tell you they don't have bass. They have it, just not much impact. It's a very polite bass, tells the facts but isn't too imposing. Personally I love it even for electronic and stuff with lots of bass.

Well, I'm coming from really bad headphones with extreme amounts of bass (eDimensional Audio FX 5+1 Pro headset), so I think I'll probably get something a bit "fuller."

Thanks for all the replies guys, 'ppreciate it.
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 17
The HD555 is a pretty nice headphone, enjoyed it for months. Search for the mod topic: you can turn these into the HD595's with not much difficulty, just remove some damping.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD555 is a pretty nice headphone, enjoyed it for months. Search for the mod topic: you can turn these into the HD595's with not much difficulty, just remove some damping.

I second that as well. The soundstage mod will turn your 555's into 595's in no time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 17
Okay, I'll go with those then. Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Think they'd go well with the XS71 sound card recommended by 1Time in the first reply? I'm kind of skeptical, but if so, that would be awesome.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD555's are pretty boring, else its a jack of all trades. Nothing special, doesn't excell anywhere, gets the job done
tongue.gif

I agree !!

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by AOwpr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My old headphones stopped working properly around three weeks ago, I've been listening to ultra-low quality music at really low volumes, from only one of the two sides. It's time for an upgrade...

I had purchased D1000's from Amazon, but they called to say they were out, so I think my second choice is a pair of HD555's...

Headphone type:
- Circumaural: my ears aren't particularly huge, but I like full-sized headphones.

Music:
- Classical: orchestra, piano, opera.
- Rock: indie, alternative, folk.- Dance: techno, trance, bass.
- Gaming: mostly first-person shooters.

Where:
- Won't be taking them out of my dorm room.

Other:
- Must be extremely comfortable, I'll sometimes have them on for over eight hours with few breaks.
- Preferably open, I like to hear when people knock on my door and such. I'll consider closed if they'd sound significantly better for the music genres specified or for gaming and don't press against your head too tightly, though.

Source:
- Sound card
*which I also need advice on*.
- No amp.

Budget:
- Headphones + soundcard = $200 at most, preferably $150 or less.

Thanks.

Grado sr60i / sr80i / Alessandro MS1i + prodigy HD 2..
fullfil most of ur requirement if u dun care the soundstage..
AD700 and HD555 are quite good too...
beyer will nid an amp..
akg no comment...

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 17
I recommended the HD555 because I can imagine being able to wear it over 8 hours a day, every day. And I really can't say that about any other open or closed circumaural headphones that I've owned.

However, comfort, like sound is a personal matter. Some do not consider the HD555 to be as comfortable as I do. And some consider the AD700, for example, to be more comfortable, which I do not.

Again, the HD555 would not be my first choice for your uses, except if needing to wear them for such extended hours. Taking headphones off and putting them back on repeatedly likely will get old quickly if doing this every day in an attempt to keep them comfy.

I haven't noticed many Head-Fiers using the XS71. If going with the HD555, I would mod it to sound more like the HD595. I used my HD555 from a cheaper sound card and recall preferring it when amped. And so if your budget allows, a sound card that has additional amplification likely would be a better choice than the XS71. I suggest reading and posting in the computer audio forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOwpr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think they'd go well with the XS71 sound card recommended by 1Time in the first reply? I'm kind of skeptical, but if so, that would be awesome.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #14 of 17
Good to get even more good comments on the HD555s. The thing is I do homework with them on to reduce the drudgery of piles and piles of work, so I end up wearing them more than normal.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the AD700s look a bit unwieldy and unstable...

I've decided I'm going to buy a cheap $20 USB sound card and hold off until early next year when I can buy something better, maybe $200 or so. I know the general recommendation is typically "get the soundcard first, headphones later," but hey.
tongue.gif

Thanks and cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back