Going from usb out on laptop to usb in on reciever, not working
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nastynice

100+ Head-Fier
So I basically play my audio from my laptop through a home theater receiver.  Currently I go from the usb out on the computer to an audioengine d1 dac, then d1 dac analog out to receiver analog in.  I want to try and cut the audioengine from this chain so I can go straight from computer to receiver, yet still bypass the computer sound card (so going from headphone out to analog in on receiver isn't what I'm looking for).

I know my usb out on my laptop ('09 toshiba, bottom of the line) works because I use it through my audioengine d1.  I also know the usb in on my receiver works (marantz 6005) because I play music from my ipod using the usb input.  However, when I connect a usb cable from the laptop to the usb in on the receiver, the sound just plays through the laptop speakers.  Its as though the computer doesn't recognize that a digital audio signal should be going through the usb.  I'm a little confused, and not too great when it comes to computers, any help and advice is appreciated.  I'd love to go this route so I can try and sell my audioengine d1.  I think the marantz has a better dac built in it anyway.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 5
So I basically play my audio from my laptop through a home theater receiver.  Currently I go from the usb out on the computer to an audioengine d1 dac, then d1 dac analog out to receiver analog in.  I want to try and cut the audioengine from this chain so I can go straight from computer to receiver, yet still bypass the computer sound card (so going from headphone out to analog in on receiver isn't what I'm looking for).

I know my usb out on my laptop ('09 toshiba, bottom of the line) works because I use it through my audioengine d1.  I also know the usb in on my receiver works (marantz 6005) because I play music from my ipod using the usb input.  However, when I connect a usb cable from the laptop to the usb in on the receiver, the sound just plays through the laptop speakers.  Its as though the computer doesn't recognize that a digital audio signal should be going through the usb.  I'm a little confused, and not too great when it comes to computers, any help and advice is appreciated.  I'd love to go this route so I can try and sell my audioengine d1.  I think the marantz has a better dac built in it anyway.

Perhaps the receiver does not have the right usb chip to support computer hookup.

What you can try and do is go into your control panel > sound and see if there's multiple playbacks.
If there's two, set the default to the one you'd like to use. Restart your Audio program, and try playing it. (make sure your audio program is also set to output to that playback)

Tim

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Sorry to bring you the bad news, but what you're trying to do is not going to work.
You can think of USB connection as requiring two types of devices to work: one is a controller and the other is a service. In this case you are linking two controllers and they simply expect something different at the other end of the cable.
Better stop trying while the ports still work, as you may break something.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Sorry to bring you the bad news, but what you're trying to do is not going to work.
You can think of USB connection as requiring two types of devices to work: one is a controller and the other is a service. In this case you are linking two controllers and they simply expect something different at the other end of the cable.
Better stop trying while the ports still work, as you may break something.

+1

Your receiver USB input is definitely not meant for what you are trying to do.

Stick with the D1 connected to the receiver, or get a USB to optical converter and use it to run optical to your Marantz. For instance, I've seen someone mention this SMSL device, but I have no idea how good it is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back