Going from Senn HD280 to Beyer DT770. Upgrade?
Sep 7, 2005 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Loophole

New Head-Fier
So, I'm getting bored with the sound of my Sennheisers so I'm thinking about getting some new (closed!) cans.
Source = computer with cheapo soundcard

The Beyerdynamic DT770 look promising so far but would they be a substantial
step up from the Sennheisers? They certainly seem to have a "different" sound but would they be a worthwhile *up*grade?
From the reviews it seems as if the 80 ohm version is actually better than the 250 ohm version, correct?

Or would I be better off getting other headphones or maybe even just a decent headphone amp
confused.gif

Sorry for the rambling and thanks for your input
icon10.gif

Sep 7, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 7
IMHO they are a nice step up from the 280. A much mor dynamic and livlier sounding can. Although it does have some impressive extension at the ends of the spectrum. IMHO the HD280 is flat and boring. Get a small cmoy abd youre in business.

Garrett

Sep 7, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the HD-280's and the DT770-250's, and there's a huge difference when goin from the DT770-250's to the HD-280's, even unamped like I usually have it. I still think the HD-280's sound damn fine, but the DT770's just take it to another level.

Sep 7, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 7
I have the 770-80's and haven't heard the 250-ohm version. I bought the 80-ohm figuring I could forgo an amp for a while, I'm pretty happy with the sound out of everything except for the G4 Mac in my office which sounds worse than my $15 PCDP.

Sep 7, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 7
I've heard both.. for a little at guitar center. I tried the hd280's and was "sounds nice" then the sales man said ..." I know this is outta ur price range , but these cans are so comfortable and sound nice (dt770)." They sounded a lot better. I'm a bass head so if you like more bass the DT770's are gonna sound a lot better. They're very comfortable and seem to have a slightly bigger sound stage.
BUT... the downside is that the dt770's are bulkier and to me unamped don't sound that much better. Obviously at guitar center they were powered so the difference was noticeable, but if your gonna just use the computer soundcard's output its not gonna sound as good.
In conclusion.. if you buy the dt770's(even 80 version) id buy a amp too. which means more money to spend. money money money heh

Sep 7, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 7
I ordered a pair of ultrasone hfi-650 (which are about the same price as a dt770) about a week ago, so if they arrive before the end of the day I can tell you how they sound, and how well they run out of a cheapo soundcard (sblive! 5.1
frown.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back