Going from PS3 Mixamp setup to PC setup , input please
Jul 3, 2014 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Prodeje79

New Head-Fier
So I am finally building a PC after many years away from the scene.  Nothing too fancy, but it will work....
i7-4770k (NIB $150 Craiglist find with microcenter receipt :) ), asus z87, 660GTX, Win8 Pro.
I do have a Schiit Modi amp, but did not need it with my AD700s like I did with my Senn HD650s.  So thats out of the picture.

I've grown accustomed to my PS3 with Astro Mixamp, AD700s with V-MODA BoomPro setup.
I've been using my Xim edge keyboard and mouse adapter to play on PS3 as I cannot use joysticks.....

I have an ASUS Xonar DG on the way.

Should I bother hooking up my Mixamp?  Just trying to understand possible configurations with pros and cons......
I plan to play COD games like Ghosts/BO2, BF3, CS:GO, and perhaps a little Minecraft Crafting Dead Mod with my nephew.

If I should use the mixamp, how do I go about connecting and setting it up?  Just connect via USB and optical out and good from there?

If I don't need use the mixamp, am I able to connect the 3-pole 3.5mm into the soundcard or must I split it back out?

EDIT: this thread may answer my question, but I appreciate any additional input.....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/687529/new-pc-build-asus-xonar-dx-astro-mixamp-redundant-soundcard-suggestions-welcome

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Your PC computer would need to have DDL (Dolby Digital Live) to be able to provide headphone surround sound with the Mix-amp.
But as your getting an Xonar DG sound card anyway, you will not need to use the Mix-amp (with your PC).

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 3
I do have a Schiit Modi amp, but did not need it with my AD700s like I did with my Senn HD650s.  So thats out of the picture.

Do you have a headphone amp as well? The Modi is not really meant to power headphones.

The other reason I ask is just trying to understand what equipment you have. Is your Modi optical or USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back