Going From Open-Back to Closed-Back - $300ish recommendation
Jun 12, 2016 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aeonfire

New Head-Fier
Everything is driving me insane. I loveeeeee my K702 Annies, but I can hear my PC fans screaming at me because my room idles at 85 degrees Fahrenheit, my neighbors playing ****ty gangster rap, and every driver honking his horn 50 times because some guy took longer than half a second to go through the light. Thanks Los Angeles - seriously the worst place I've ever lived.

Let's get past my personal issues.

I need some closed-back headphones that are comparable to my K702 65th Anniversary Editions. Driving them is a Sound Blaster Z sound card from my PC. They will be used for everything from movies, podcasts, heavy metal to J-pop (or maybe just Babymetal), non-competitive games like RPGs with amazing soundtracks and SFX, and then that rage inducing FPS Blizzard just made, so something neutral is fine (similar to the K702s).

Comfort is pretty important, too. I've owned Nixon RPMs and while loud as balls and pretty awesome, it felt like my head was being used to make the next video on that one Russian guys hydraulic press Youtube channel. I've also owned SHR-840s which I liked, but they were a little too base heavy and fell apart after taking a 3 foot drop on my floor. I constantly trip over my headphone cables, fall on my face, and my headphones usually fall with me, so build quality is also important. 

My true loves have and always will be my AKGs (Q701 was my first and the K702s have lasted me since I bought them when they were first released).

Ideally, would like to pick something new off of Amazon through Prime.

Thank you kindly in advance for all your help.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi.

Honestly I would recommend the MrSpeakers Mad Dogs for the use cases listed. Excellent all day comfort, decent isolation, good for movies and games. Two issues:

1) They may not sound optimal out of the SBZ (but then again I don't think the 702 Annies would either...)
2) They are discontinued by the manufacturer and so you'd have to source a pair on the aftermarket. 

Other than that, options are a little lacking for closed-backs in that price range. Four others that come to mind are the SoundMAGIC HP150, NAD HP50, ATH-MSR7 and ATH-M70x. Unfortunately I haven't owned any of those so I can't speak on sound/comfort. Use the search bar in the top right of the site to find reviews on these suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #4 of 10
Sure, consider the ATH-A900X too, not sure why I forgot to include it in my first post.

Also you may find this index of reviews helpful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added

He goes over many topics that may relate to your use cases

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Agree with the HP150. Unfortunately, it is a tad on the delicate side and with you falling down all the time and/or dropping them, well, probably not a great choice. I'm going to throw the Oppo (PM-3) in the ring, even though you may not like it. Those who do like it absolutely love it, so worth at least looking into for you. Another to consider is the B&W P7, which has a bit of a bass emphasis and so may not totally suit you, but worth considering. Also, you love your AKGs--why not look into the K553 Pro? It doesn't have the best isolation in the world but it sounds terrific. You may find that it replicates some of the qualities you enjoy about your K702.  Something to consider.

Lastly, if you order amazon, you can always order two cans and simply return the one you like least. One of the benefits of dealing with amazon. good luck. :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 10
+1 for the AKG K553 Pro, large soundstage and airy highs despite being a closed design.  Comfort could be an issue though, I had to buy a headband pad for mine because the low clamping force puts more pressure on the top of your head.

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 10
Since you are ordering from Amazon, worth ordering two and comparing them.

I'll recommend the HP50 for you. While I have not heard the Annies, I have the K7XX. If a K7XX owner didn't mind the headphones being a touch darker, I think they could like the HP50. It's a very natural sounding headphone to me. Cables detachable and are easily replaceable if you decide to damage them :)

Jun 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 10
here you go...

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7520-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004Z58VZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465776268&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+7520

+

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Audio-Cable-For-Sony-MDR-1RBT-MDR-1RNC-MDR-Z1000-MDR-7520-headphone-/281558789174?rmvSB=true

https://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT250V-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465776788&sr=8-1&keywords=beyer+v250+ear+pads

your welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back