Going from MS-1 to the new MS-2, worth it?
Feb 25, 2005 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

enemigo

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I'm still in on the MS-2 group buy, but I need to decide quickly. I know it's up to me in the end, but I'd appreciate any thoughts around this!

Thing is, I've already got the MS-1's, and my funds are very low ATM. But this is a great chance to get the MS-2's. I love my MS-1's, but there are some apparent demures (correct use of term?). I find the MS-1 sometimes sound plastic-ish and artificial with specific recordings, it's like it occationally loses the warm liquid-ish precense in music and everything is flat and distant. This is not as big a problem as I make it appear, it's just me trying to put words to a little detail that's bothering me.

So, without having a chance to audit the MS-2, I'm hoping it will remedy this. The fault probably lays most with the record, but the MS-2 might still get some more life out of it? Either way, I'm sure I'd appreciate the increased detail and improved transient response I expect to find here.

I was thinking about aiming even higher for my next can, like the RS-2. But with the sources in my signature, and not getting anything better than the Pimeta amp anytime soon, I suspect I might not gain too much by going further up the Grado ladder?

My musical preferences are 60-70's and indie/retro rock if you felt the need to know that.

I know there are a lot of posts regarding these two cans around here. I've read a lot of them, but none of them convinced me what to do. So, I'm hoping you've got some thoughs for me.

Thanks
Knut

Feb 25, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 23
MS-2s have more bass. And they are clearer. So superior in soundquality. That's very obvious. I've found them to be a bit less fun than the MS-1s in presentation. Can't quite put my finger on it. I had the feeling that they needed another amp. Was using a Headsave MINT with OPA 2227 opamp. Don't think it's class A biased.
I sold them due to comfort issues. Too heavy for me. I would have kept them otherwise. It was hard to go back to the MS-1s because of the loss of clearity, but that was forgotten after a day. I enjoy the MS-1s with a better suited amp very well now.

So in short. MS-2 is better, but less comfortable and the sound is flatter yet bassier.

Feb 25, 2005 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo
Ok, I'm still in on the MS-2 group buy, but I need to decide quickly. I know it's up to me in the end, but I'd appreciate any thoughts around this!

Thing is, I've already got the MS-1's, and my funds are very low ATM. But this is a great chance to get the MS-2's. I love my MS-1's, but there are some apparent demures (correct use of term?). I find the MS-1 sometimes sound plastic-ish and artificial with specific recordings, it's like it occationally loses the warm liquid-ish precense in music and everything is flat and distant. This is not as big a problem as I make it appear, it's just me trying to put words to a little detail that's bothering me.

So, without having a chance to audit the MS-2, I'm hoping it will remedy this. The fault probably lays most with the record, but the MS-2 might still get some more life out of it? Either way, I'm sure I'd appreciate the increased detail and improved transient response I expect to find here.

I was thinking about aiming even higher for my next can, like the RS-2. But with the sources in my signature, and not getting anything better than the Pimeta amp anytime soon, I suspect I might not gain too much by going further up the Grado ladder?

My musical preferences are 60-70's and indie/retro rock if you felt the need to know that.

I know there are a lot of posts regarding these two cans around here. I've read a lot of them, but none of them convinced me what to do. So, I'm hoping you've got some thoughs for me.

Thanks
Knut

Personally, I'd look at it like this...

1) You love your MS-1s, although they have minor issues with a couple of recordings;
2) You have limited funds at the moment;
3) You eventually plan to get some really high end phones like the RS-2...

I'd say, save the money now and save up for the RS-2 further down the road
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 23
I have both the MS-pros myself, and my wife has the MS-2s.

I recommend going out and listening to the MS-2s and the MS-pros. If you can audition these side by side you will find that the MS-2s are certainly value for money. Better yet, try a blind test and see if you can honestly say one is better on all types of music - these great cans are very close. There is a slight difference, and yes the mspros are more comfortable. Both will give you good, and almost identical (to me), bass impact and clarity, midrange detail and good highs. Heck, on some music the MS-2s seem to have a more refined sound than the pros... could be just my judgement, but go figure.

Now that you have listened to these two cans go home get out your MS-1s and play some complex music. Something like Kraftwerk. No competition hey. The tougher the job of rendering complex passages, the better the MS-2s and MS-pros get...

I think the MS-2s are the headphone bargain of the century, particularly if you listen to rock. (I think I prefer my etys for straight violin).

Have fun deciding,

TonyAAA

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #5 of 23
TonyAAA,

Are the MSpro much lighter than the MS-2s? And has the headband some kind of padding. Instead of just leader around the metal which makes that the metal rod is the only thing that presses on your head. I want to know if these are an option for me comfort wise or if I just can stop dreaming about anything better Grado/Alessandro wise?

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 23
What pads are you using on your MS-1 (it makes a big difference)? I have no idea what these new MS-2 sound like but I have placed my order for one too. I can tell you that the music will seem even flatter and more distant with the old MS-2 (with Bowls) all the while being warmer and heavier across the spectrum, there's more presence (borrowing one of your terms) and weight in each note. There's more quantity and quality in the bass which I think flows smoothly rather than being disjointed/incoherant which can occur if the bass is too overpowering. I haven't experieced any plasticness or artificialness, although some have discribed male vocals sounding a touch feminine i.e slightly higher in tone (more throaty then chesty) but I find the MS-1/2 treat male vocals similarly so no lost here either way.

If you plan on going higher up the ladder then the MS-2 why not save up and get what you're planning for sooner, rather than taking intermediate steps?

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 23
Thanks for all the replies!

Lisa: I'm hoping I'll get my Pimeta with OPA627's up and running within some days. From what you say, I think I'm even more tempted to get the MS-2i's, allthough I'm a bit uncertain about the "more flat" comment.

daveabrey: I'm considering the RS-2's, but I'm not sure if it's "worth" going above the MS-2 with my sources and amps.

Tony: No chance of auditioning! They're not in stores here. I don't know anyone here with those cans, heck I don't even know anyone considered a head-fi'er here. Perhaps I should just aim for the MS-pro's? If my sources/amps are adequate?

cmanc: I've used the stock comfies, bowls and comfies-with-a-hole. Currently using the latter. Btw, you find my impressions on these in the post where you pointed out that the MS-1's don't come with flats, which was just mistyping on my behalf btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Knut

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:38 AM Post #9 of 23
Just to answer the question on weight and comfort... yep, the MS-pros are worth it just for that to me. Lighter and after bending the headband a bit to reduce head pressure, comfy. My wife refuses to reduce the headband pressure on her MS-2s as she has "lots" of hair (unlike me) and prefers to work around the house with them on (these play great from an ipod).

If cost is an issue and sound quality (not weight) were the only criteria I would go MS-2. My wife has no regrets and spare cash! If you want a tad more comfort, and a very subtle sound signature difference from the wooden cups, MS-pro.

Still got those bowl pads to deal with though with either of these cans unless you change to flats or do the sock mod. For me these are okay for 2-3 hours listening, after a ten minute break I can go another hour without too much worry.

Just listening to a Greatful Dead HDCD now and I can say the MS-2/pro sound just works miracles.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Feb 25, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 23
Knut,

I have the Classic with OPA627s and they match very well with the MS-1. I suspect the MS-2 too.

Tony,
Thanks for your answer.
Just to make sure. Does the MSpro headhand have some padding? Not just the metal with leader around it?

cmanc,
I can't stand circumaural. My right ear has a nerve around it that tickles like hell when pressed.
redface.gif

The DT770 headband could be a good solution, thanks for pointing that out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 23
well, the reason i chose to go in on the group buy is that it seemed too good of a deal to pass up! Though i do feel a bit guilty for going with the impulse, but they will be my first set of audiophile cans and i think i will appreciate them.
(i can see myself working on a "my first amp/alessandro complimentary amp" thread once they arrive as well as throwing down another 60 for the circumaural pads
evil_smiley.gif
)
Besides, if you don't like them you could just sell them for 250 plus shipping and break even, or sell the ms-1s and get the 300 dollar fatboys for 200 bucks.
Really depends how slim your funds are though.

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #12 of 23
Yeah, the resell option is a pro. Hmmm, it guess it really comes down to the potential in the rest of my setup. Will I gain much by going past the MS-2i on the Grado ladder with my current setup? I know, it's like the third time I pose this question, and it's probably not an easy one. Appreciate if anyone got any thoughts on this!

Knut

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 23
Regarding the RS-2s -- one of the best things about them is that they tend to sound good even on lesser equipment. They're not as amp dependent as some other phones. Personally, I think they're one of the most fun headphones I've heard.

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
Regarding the RS-2s -- one of the best things about them is that they tend to sound good even on lesser equipment. They're not as amp dependent as some other phones. Personally, I think they're one of the most fun headphones I've heard.

That's what I like to read.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 23
Ok, the comment from acs236, along with a severely supressed desire to save my (absent) funds, have just about conviced me to pass on the MS-2i. Also the praise in LTUCCI1924's MS-1 thread doesn't make want to sell my MS-1
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll give myself another day to change my mind before announcing my passing this buy, just in case anyone displays a dazzeling pro-argument here.

Thanks
Knut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back