Going from lossless to MP3 or CD-Audio?
Jan 24, 2004 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
Has anyone found a quick easy way to make a music CD or MP3's from lossless files? I currently have many albums doubled up on my computer (both monkeys or flac & 320K MP3) since I have an MP3 Player and often like to make mixed CD's quickly (where ablsolute sound quality is less important than ease of use). I have found that this is fastest and easiest in Music Match since it's very quick about letting you build a playlist in the order you want and then burn to a disc. Since Music Match cannont decode lossless compression this is a major hassel and is taking up a lot of hard disc space.

Help Help!!! I'd rather just have lossless but don't want to deal with the hassel of converting back to wav then to MP3 for my MP3 player or the hassel of figuring out a playlist then finding the files and converting to WAV then buring to audio CD.

Jan 24, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 11
I use foobar2000 for this purpose (can also handle lossless image + cue sheet -> separated mp3 files). dbPowerAmp should be able to do that too.

If lame --alt-preset standard is too slow for your needs, try --alt-preset fast standard, for even higher speed some CBR setting like --alt-preset 192.

Jan 25, 2004 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by tigre
I use foobar2000 for this purpose (can also handle lossless image + cue sheet -> separated mp3 files). dbPowerAmp should be able to do that too.

If lame --alt-preset standard is too slow for your needs, try --alt-preset fast standard, for even higher speed some CBR setting like --alt-preset 192.

I have Foobar2000 but for the life of me can't figure out how to use it for anything other than playback... can you give me some pointers on getting it to do other stuff?

Jan 25, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #8 of 11
On Case's site there's Lame encoder. I haven't tried this though. I use foobar2000 installed with Case's special installer. Lame encoding is integrated and works like this:
  1. Highlight the tracks you want to convert
  2. Rightclick -> Convert -> Settings ...
  3. Output format: mp3 (LAME); Settings: --alt-preset standard (or what you want)
  4. If you want you can enable DSPs (e.g. Crossfeed or HRTF plungin for portable+headphone use) and Replaygain (Replaygain scan needed before encoding)
  5. After setting all options close the menue and rightclick -> convert.[/list=1]

Jan 25, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 11
I use dbPowerAmp Music Converter. It has codec modules that can go from most anything to most anything else. I use it to go from FLAC directly to whatever format I want at the time.

It can also open and convert M3U playlists.

A bonus is that it also has a Shell enhancement that allows you to see the properties of your media files from the Windows Explorer.

Hope this helps.

Dec 24, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #10 of 11
I was just wondering if Jasper ever got an answer to this. Seems dbPowerAmp is moving in the right direction with and Apple Lossless codec for its Sveta Portable product.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/sveta-portable-apple.htm

I'd like to know what came of this. Jasper? Anyone? I'm going to play with these products from dbPowerAmp/Illustrator, but already own a couple others which are slowly adding functionality that I need. (Anapod's Audio-morphing is hopefully going to allow transfers using same codec but to different (smaller) bit rates on the fly. Presently, it only transfers most as-is, but its wma and wav file converting abilities are a step in the right direction.)

Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back