Going from Koss KE29s to a yet to be decided $150 or less earphone - big difference?
Nov 4, 2011 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jiggawho

New Head-Fier
I ventured down the headphone path temporarily with XB500s and HARX900s and I'm pretty sure that getting expensive IEMs is a far better deal than getting similarly priced headphones. Those headphones just didn't cut it in sound quality, and definitely didn't isolate well enough.

I've always used Koss KE29s, and to be honest, I was 90% satisfied with the sound. You can manage a decent fit and isolation, there's a good amount of bass for the electronic/dance music I usually listen to, and the sound quality and clarity isn't bad.

So I'm just curious and I'm checking out expensive IEMs - maybe the Westone UM-1s? - and I'm wondering how much better can the sound quality actually get if a $15 pair of KE29s already sounds about as good as I've ever heard music.

And what the heck do I get? There are countless threads "best IEMs for $150" here at Head-Fi but that complicates things even more because now there are about 20 different suggestions out there and I have no idea which one to choose. What do I look for, how do I choose? All I'm really looking for is an IEM that can best replicate what I hear in the high-end sound systems of a club. No exaggerated bass, but no lack of bass either. Can't really say much besides when I listen to a trance song by Armin van Buuren I want to hear whatever he intended for me to hear.

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 2
The Sony EX600(bright, neutral, highely detailed), MTP Gold(bassy, rich n detailed, warm) and , MTP Copper(warm, crisp n detailed, punchy bass) TF10Pro(wide soundstage, detailed, bassy) are highely recommended for these genres music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back