Going from Hugo 2 to R2R - what will I gain?
Jul 6, 2020 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

E-norm

Head-Fier
Hey there!
I currently have a Hugo 2 as my main DAC/amp in combo with my main headphones, the Empyreans. As I recently added a tube amp to my system I was thinking of adding another DAC to this setup. I am intrigued by the R2R but will I really get anything -that- different from my H2 by going the route of Holo Spring lvl 2, Bifrost 2, Gumby, Yggy GS , Denafrips etc? My options for hearing these for myself is sadly limited so any impressions or advice is welcome.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 9
I have a Hugo2 and a a Bifrost 2/64. I find the Bifrost 2/64 a little disappointing as the Hugo 2 has a much wider soundstage and is really good with resolution and separation. I do like the richness and weight that the Bifrost presents which I feel makes things feel a bit more lively and less sterile. But aside from the great timbre, it feels a bit claustrophobic to me especially because of the added weight and lack of depth and width of stage.
I think after the H2, the Bifrost 2 is a noticeable step back. One thing that I did enjoy is running my H2 through a Xduoo TA-22. The tubes smoothing things out but the detail of the H2 came through and made my Fostex Th-900 much more enjoyable to listen to. However with my Arya’s I preferred going straight from the H2.
Hope that gives you at least one perspective on it. But I recommend that you check with others to gain a more holistic perspective.

Apr 21, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 9
Oh yeah more more thing. The Bifrost 2/64 and Jot2 combo increase the dynamics of the DCA Aeon2 (planar) and give them something resembling slam, which is not what they are known for. I wonder what the effect would be on Empyreans?

Apr 22, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 9
"Going from Hugo 2 to R2R - what will I gain?"

Watch this. The real question is, what will you lose?

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 9
"Going from Hugo 2 to R2R - what will I gain?"

Watch this. The real question is, what will you lose?

Besides Chord products. Which other DACs can we find Rob Watts’ IP? I like the sound of the Hugo 2, but the device is definitely made for portability, with all of its controls on the top of the device. Having it on a desk is a bit challenging because the ports are on both sides of the device and it quickly turns into an octopus. But I’d like something that sounds similar, but with a more standard user interface.

Apr 23, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 9
Besides Chord products. Which other DACs can we find Rob Watts’ IP? I like the sound of the Hugo 2, but the device is definitely made for portability, with all of its controls on the top of the device. Having it on a desk is a bit challenging because the ports are on both sides of the device and it quickly turns into an octopus. But I’d like something that sounds similar, but with a more standard user interface.
Check out the Hugo TT 2. Desktop variant. That I believe will be my upgrade from the Bifrost 2/64. Hopefully next year.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Yes, the TT2 has been in my sights for a while, but then why not just add the M-scaler and if you’re going to get an M-scaler, then why not the Dave? Because you can get so much more out of the M-scaler with the Dave.
I was actually looking to go outside of the Chord ecosystem and in the video Rob Watts said he worked on more than 50 DACs, but as far as I know Chord doesn’t make anywhere close to that number. I was wondering what the others were and if they were worth checking out.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Over the past 10 years or so I never heard mention of Rob’s FPGAs being used anywhere other than Chord DACs. Most likely the “50 DACs” is those with Chord down the years plus some much older designs that wouldn’t be relevant now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back