Going from er6i's to soundmagic pl21's.. what can I expect?
Oct 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

luciobar1980

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, so my er6i's shorted out recently, and decided I would spend only around $30 and see what I could get. So I ended u settling on the pl21's and should get them any day. I have heard good things about them and Im psyched to give them a listening. What can I expect coming from the er6i's? And should I do some burn-in?

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 5
Well from what I read, the PL21s have a decent bit of bass and the typical Ety sound is very lean on bass. I think it's likely that you'll find what I found going from Westone UM1 to the JVC HA-FX66. I found a lot of what I was missing before and I personally think I won't go back to the UM1 any time soon for non-airplane listening.

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 5
The PL21 are stellar earphones but make no mistake - they are still just very good $25 IEMs. They do need some burn in, but they don't benefit hugely like some others. Frankly, I'm surprised you picked the PL21 over the PL30 and Ai-M9 b/c the PL21 is way on the other side of the signature spectrum from Etys.

Honestly, you should expect a major loss in detail and clarity, especially in the mids and highs. You will also hear a lot more bass. The PL21s are also much warmer and somewhat darker-sounding then the Er6i. They might therefore sound more 'lively'. Really hard to guess what else you will perceive... so make sure to post impressions.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, I went with the pl21's because I didn't want to deal with the whole over-the-ear design of the pl30's.

I recently have been using a pair of v-moda bass freqs and I find them generally muddy and undetailed. How would the pl21's compare to the bass freqs, anybody have an idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back