Going from Earphones to Audiophile Headphones
Sep 3, 2009 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

frezaina

New Head-Fier
So, i'm new in this forum, i just want to know what kind of differences i'm going to see from moving from earphones(cx 95) to something like th ad700 from audio technica

PS:i' from portugal

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 10
I'd love to help but I've never tried the AD700's.

On the whole, though, what you're going to find is that your music gets much broader and more expansive. Details and tones you never knew were there are going to appear with crystal clarity. The sound becomes more immediate and you will have less awareness of the separation between you and the musician/s. Your understanding of the artists' intents becomes essentially complete. All this will make a little more sense after you try it.

My first time was with Shure e530's three years ago and I found myself standing outside in the dark going through all the music I'd listened to for twenty years, astonished at all the things I'd never heard before.

You're also headed for financial ruin.

Cheers!

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 10
For me, it was all about hearing things I never knew were there; instruments that never stood out in the mix now can be heard, someone low in the mix counting out "1, 2, 3, 4", stuff like that. Last night I was listening to Led Zep and heard guitar panned hard left and the delayed (echo) guitar panned hard right. It always sounded like just one guitar sound before but last night the seperation was a revelation!

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 10
I you may have misunderstood the OP elcarajo, but the switch from earbuds/IEM to full sized cans is quite a big difference. First of all, if you're going to get the AD700's, they're not going to have as much bass as you're used to, but you'll notice much less smearing of the music. Listening to high quality source files (mp3's at 320 bitrate, FLAC, WAV from CD's, etc) will help you get the most out of your headphones. You'll probably hear details that you've never heard before and there's just a clarity to the music that makes you think: "Wow! This is amazing!"

If I were you, I would start out slowly, not everybody has upgraditis. Don't take everything you read on these forums for granted, and enjoy the music!

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 10
thanks! i will post my impressions once i get them.
atsmile.gif

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 10
by the way, do you think the ad700 will give me a soundstage like 5.1 speakers?kind of a surround effect? i have the x-540 from logitech, and i realy love them, specially the bass. it's not a boomy bass but it has real kick to it.is the bass on the ad700 punchy like that?

Sep 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 10
FWIW, Jageur, the Shures were my first quality headphones, gateway to audiophilia and stepping stone to full-sized cans. Apologies if that was not clear.

Sep 7, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by frezaina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
by the way, do you think the ad700 will give me a soundstage like 5.1 speakers?kind of a surround effect? i have the x-540 from logitech, and i realy love them, specially the bass. it's not a boomy bass but it has real kick to it.is the bass on the ad700 punchy like that?

Sorry to disappoint, but almost all music is mixed for stereo playback, the 5.1 surround sound you get from the Logitech is merely an illusion through the "matrix".

Headphones will also not going to be able to produce such powerful bass compared to your Logitech subwoofer, but since the drivers are placed so close to your ears, you can definitely feel the impact (or kick, as you would call it).

From my experience (I have the X530 and two pairs of Grado), headphones are a lot more intimate compared to speakers. If you're used to the soundstaging/imaging from well placed speakers, you will find headphones a total different experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back