going from dt880 to---->DT990/600
Jan 16, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jshoger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT990/600's have a healthy amount of bass. I've been listening to some Shiny Toy Guns on them lately and they sound great. I prefer my K702's for more acoustic music, but for energetic music the DT990's are fun. I can't comment on the D2000's as I have not heard them.

yeah, i listen to Shiny Toy Guns some of the time. In critical/ analytic mode
tongue.gif
they sound amazing on my dt880's. Sometimes i feel so guilty for making this thread. I'm sorry for hurting your feelings Dt880's
frown.gif
but i kinda wish that punchy bass presentation was a bit more alive
smile.gif
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had some hd580s which to my ears sounded exactly the same as the 600s. I even liked them a little better than the 650s. There were a lot of more expensive cans that came through my house, and most of them ended up leaving in favor of my 580s. I thought that I would never get rid of them. Well that is untill the dt990/600ohm came. Now the 580s are gone.

ahahah. so would you consider the Dt990/600 all rounders? movies, music, games, critical/fun ; everything with poppin' bass?
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David.M

I have and love the DT880s, and I haven't heard the DT990 (250 or 600 ohm) however I would sugest that they may not be sufficiently different to warrant an "upgrade".

Based on what you are looking for, I would recommend the Ultrasone Pro900 as perfect and a good contrast to your DT880.

woa woa. upgraditis has struck, but not at the point of spending half a grand
tongue_smile.gif

the texture on the dt880 are almost perfection to my ears. When a track is basslight, the dt880 will not enhance it. when a track is neutral or bassheavy, dt880 does in no way miss bass.

I just wanted something "extra" on the side. I think I'm just gonna keep these dt880 for a bit longer. I might enjoy the DT990 or the Denon D2000's , but the hassle of selling my Dt880's is gonna be a pain in the ***
smile_phones.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider the DT880 600 ohms if you want more bass but still want the DT880 sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...thread-429371/

oh yeah, i totally forgot about the 600 ohm version of the DT880's.

I've read 20 pages worth of the 250 ohm vs 600 ohm discussion.

I'm still a bit skeptical on this matter
popcorn.gif

but would the MKIII drive them well or would i need another amp?

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #18 of 21
Don't spend half a grand on Pro900, pick up a used pair from the Headfi forums. The sound quality and particularly the extra bass (for your music tastes and movies) will be money well spent.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #19 of 21
I think it depends on what you want. If you want closed then DT990 would be out of the picture. If you want open, the DT990 presents a very nice soundstage. The HD650 had a lot of bass quantity but not so much quality compared to the DT990. Some people might even feel that the DT990 was bass light compared to a HD650 at times. While the HD650 played instrumentals very well, I felt that the DT990 was good enough all around for me to sell the HD650 and not miss it. Oh and a tube amp definitely smooths out that treble if you feel that would cause a problem. The DT990's are oh so sweet.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #20 of 21
I had the dt990 for a year and sold it to get the 880. It's just a superior can. With a better amp it can bleed out details without being harsh. If you want a bit more slam get the jmoney pads. It perfectly balanced the 880 to my liking.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #21 of 21
I'm always a little bemused by people who listen to Beyer's great classic cans--DT880/600 & DT990/600--and then complain that they aren't getting enough bass. I *haven't* hear the DT880s yet, but I have DT990/600 classics and they are perennial favorites. They are a little bright--but the treble is controlled, smooth--and they are a bit bassy--but it's a refined bass. I can listen to just about any thing with them. They don't have the AKG 501's cavernous soundstange or sparkly highs, but that's the whole point: they weigh-in across the spectrum. They have tonal depth and texture throughout.

If you're mad because no Beyers you've listened to have adequate bass, then hunt down some of the severely underrated DT480s/250 Ohm. They are still sizzly on the highs in the manner of the DT48s, but they are darkly colored, and they produce the most delightfully weighty bass I've heard for every sort of pre-80s recording (other than folk and classical), as well as nearly all electric guitars, slapped basses, and clamorous drums--both acoustic and synthetic. They take about fifteen minutes to get used to--they're closed cans, and I find the DT48As harder to deal with--and then they're sheer audio toffee: brown sugar cooked down hot with pure butter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back