Going from cd to md...
Oct 25, 2002 at 6:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

linnem

100+ Head-Fier
Ok boys & girls. A quick question from Norway...

I'm seriously thinking about shifting from CD to MD but I'm a little worried so help me out: How is the noise level on MD compared to CD? I owned a mz-r35 a couple of years ago and and I found the noise to be a tad higher then on my d-465. Has this improved?
-and will I miss any detail in the music? come people, truthfully...

going to use an amp...

Oct 26, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 42
noise level...do you mean motor noise? well if so, then yes, it has decreased in volume by an overwhelming amount. My N1's motor is so quiet that only if I put my unit up to my ear do I hear the whirring noise of the disc.

hope this helps ya
wink.gif

Oct 26, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 42
I just went from CD to MD and love it.

I had concerns and waited a long time to make the switch, but MD is so much better as a portable format.

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 42
Hi,
I don't really think anything will beat MD as of the portable format, except the Ipod. I really think that in the future hard drive based player will be much smaller...and then...MD will be beaten.

Purk

Oct 26, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 42
If you're going to use it with an amp, then ultimate portability is obviously not the issue. Stick with a decent CD/MP3 player, maybe the new IMP400? much more versatile and you'll have the option of uncompressed sound, as well as (shock) if you actually buy a CD, you can play it straight away.

Oct 26, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 42
ATRAC3 (LP2, LP4) might have a lower S/N ratio - I read an article where the author measured it and it came to 68 dB - but neither they, nor ATRAC SP, introduce audible hiss into the sound data.

LP2 can often hide the details, and that's especially obvious if you intently compare it to CD, but SP is pretty good.

I think it's more important for you to find a portable unit that doesn't add hiss to its output. Format doesn't have to be an issue. I've come across some owners saying that the Panasonics (CT790 and MR250) both emit hiss from the phones jack, so there you go
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Hi,
I don't really think anything will beat MD as of the portable format, except the Ipod. I really think that in the future hard drive based player will be much smaller...and then...MD will be beaten.

Purk

Wait till the minidisc technology that's based on DVD storage gets released...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 27, 2002 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 42
Thanks!

With noise I mean the "white static" that we used to cure with Dolby B & C on the old tape decks. It was less promenent on vinyl and almost non existing on CD, but my mz-r35 was somewhere between vinyl and CD.

Do you "feel" the compression in SP (dont care for LP2 + 4)?

I'm currently in talks with Kurt to make him construct something like the mini meta but with an added blend resistor. This will make the amp just as portable as the MD and a lot more portable then a CD with a porta corda.

All input greatly appriciated!

Magic: I have heard that the new iriver 400 has noticeble hiss much like the 350

(PS. If anyone is interessted I have a new/12 h burned-in porta corda MKII for sale...stealthy ninja black)

Oct 27, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 42
Your R35 most likely had ATRAC 3.5 or 4.0. I think you'll find that ATRAC Type-R (or even 4.5) will offer superior noise reduction.

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 42
I have ATRAC type R on my Sony MR909.

There is no audible noise on silent parts of a track.
I find the size/ portability much better than a CD player.

However if my memory serves me right Ive sure the portable CD player sounded better then this. Maybe its the Sony EX70 ear buds or maybe I need an external amp, however I would say the sound is OK, kind of averagely acceptable.

Although Im positive that even my Sony walkmans (cassette) sounded a little better.

May be its the issue of the latest portable technology concentrating more on battery life and features, more then sound quality.

In conclusion im happy with the convenience of the MR909, but the sound quality is only fair.

Im thinking about purchasing a Porta Corda 2 and Ety ER-4S for the mini disc.

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 42
Linnem,

I'm interested in purchasing the Porta Corda 2.
I've tried to email you, but you have this facility switched off.

Im interested in what made you buy it and why are you selling it so quickly?

Thanks

Oct 27, 2002 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 42
Some portables generate hiss in their circuitry, and that ends up sounding exactly like what you're talking about (e.g. Panasonic MJ5/7 - hisses so much, it's more nasty than cassette sometimes). While MD itself doesn't hiss, some portables add hiss to their output.

Even if the units don't produce audible hiss.. they don't all have the same noise floor. That's a conclusion from using my Sharp DS8.

With SP most details are maintained. My impression is that the spatial image aren't always left intact. Especially with Sharp ATRAC, it can sound like you're cuddling with the band in a VW Lupo. Sony's Type-R and Panasonic's HDES will fix this.

ATRAC tends to sound like it's got more treble, than MP3 or the CD original. This involves personal perference: if you want the "personality" to be as close to CD as possible, MP3 might be closer than ATRAC. However, ATRAC has a very crisp quality that's very pleasant and very addictive. Again, Type-R is the closest there is to "the best of both worlds".

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 42
leon,

I was wondering if you know whether my sharp 831 ATRAC will decode a disc recorded with sony Type R encoding. This way I could get the best of both worlds...

Also what is your opinion of the 831's recording quality from CDs via a optical connection.

I also wanted to thank you for encouraging me to get the 831 when i had the opportunity(about a year ago). It has served me very well.

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 42
The Sony and Sharp ATRACs are not only cross compatable but also fully backward compatable with earlier versions. In other words, you can play back someting recorded with Type-R on a machine that only records in 4.0 (for instance).

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Sheff steel
I have ATRAC type R on my Sony MR909.

There is no audible noise on silent parts of a track.
I find the size/ portability much better than a CD player.

However if my memory serves me right Ive sure the portable CD player sounded better then this. Maybe its the Sony EX70 ear buds or maybe I need an external amp, however I would say the sound is OK, kind of averagely acceptable.

Although Im positive that even my Sony walkmans (cassette) sounded a little better.

May be its the issue of the latest portable technology concentrating more on battery life and features, more then sound quality.

In conclusion im happy with the convenience of the MR909, but the sound quality is only fair.

Im thinking about purchasing a Porta Corda 2 and Ety ER-4S for the mini disc.

I think its an issue of using a crummy earbud...your missing out on a lot of details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back