Going custom (M5, SuperFreQ, LiveWires)
Feb 20, 2008 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

jhendrickson

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking into going the custom route (damn you upgradeitis). I enjoy the sound of my M5's quite a bit but I've got a grass is greener sort of thing going on and I'm wondering if I might be even happier with some customs.

What I like about the M5's:

Abundance of bass - I have to have it

Very comfortable

What I don't like about the M5's:

The Comply slims are the best tips I have found, and I like to have my IEM's deep in my ear. I do not like having to replace them and I don't think they go deep enough for me.

They are somewhat lacking in the high end frequencies. I listen to alot of techno and I wish they were a bit brighter.

Please post your experiences with your customs. Anyone who has heard the M5's and also a custom I really need your input. Thank you!

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 43
I reckon try the FreQ's...triple driver would either mean dual woofer/1 tweeter or 1 woofer/1 mid/1 tweeter, either way, you can't lose with a triple driver. The high-end armature should take care of your "brighter" preference nicely and the dedicated woofer(s?) should handle the bass requirement.

I am also thinking about trying them but im quite happy with my FS IEM's at the moment.

Feb 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 43
Livewires respond really well to an amp and also to eq. I would make a comparison (as would a few others) that they're like a slightly more neutral Grado. Obviously being IEM and armature, you aren't going to get that light and airy feel you get with dynamic open headphones, but with a bit of eq you can alter the sound somewhat to suit your taste. I will say though, that you might be disappointed with any armature based IEM if you want super sparkly treble, it's a limitation of the technology.

Can't comment on the Freqs, but it basically boils down to your need (or lack thereof) for a replaceable cable, and the aesthetics of the freq's cable itself. My livewires are very well built, the cable is supple and has almost zero microphonics, and the connectors, which aren't totally stealthy are certainly robust enough for daily use.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by StudioAce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest the LiveWire.

A bit of inside info. LiveWires will be using some new drivers in the next few weeks that fit piggyback (one on top of the other) in the shell for great time alignment. also they will be updating their crossover network as well.

Ace

Ooh, wonder if they want any beta testers?
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by navmau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just checked out the FS website, USD$149 for just the custom molds??? You could add $40 and get the super FreQ's!

Precisely the reason I made this thread!
smily_headphones1.gif

Not really looking for super sparkly treble, just a little more in that range. The bass performance will be the major factor on what I choose.

How are the LiveWires bass wise?

I am intrigued with the FreQ's and the multiple driver set up, but without a replaceable cable I am slightly gun-shy. I'm not too sure of the track record of SuperFreQ's from a customer service standpoint. I don't want to spend a ton of money in the event something happens to a cable. Not to mention being without IEM's...I was without my M5's for a bout a week and it was torture.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Livewires respond really well to an amp and also to eq.

I'm assuming you've used your LiveWires with an amp, can you provide any more detail of your experience? Have you heard the M5's at all?

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendrickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the LiveWires bass wise?

If it's present on the recording, they'll give it to you. Push the bass eq up a few notches and they'll really give it to you. I did try on my super fi 3s for the first time in a while the other day, and i felt they gave a bit more bass presence than the livewires (at the same eq setting) at the expense of a bunch of mid and upper range clarity, not to mention comfort.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

I'm assuming you've used your LiveWires with an amp, can you provide any more detail of your experience? Have you heard the M5's at all?

Not heard the M5s i'm afraid.

I'm not the greatest with words to describe sonics, but to me, Livewires become less congested with an amp (tried mine with a CMoy and my mapletree, the latter using an impedance adapter). I havn't done any extensive back to back A/B listening, but i felt that the improvements were worth it, especially out of a portable source where you're likely to pick up some hiss from the player's own amp section.

i would do a bit of listening now and report back, but i've got a cold and can't hear quite properly, plus my ear canals are a bit swollen so my livewires are really tight and a bit uncomforable.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 43
Once again I am not absolutely sure when or even if these changes are going to happen with LiveWires. And as I always do, don't take too much credence in what someone post on the Internet

Ace

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

I am intrigued with the FreQ's and the multiple driver set up, but without a replaceable cable I am slightly gun-shy. I'm not too sure of the track record of SuperFreQ's from a customer service standpoint. I don't want to spend a ton of money in the event something happens to a cable. Not to mention being without IEM's...I was without my M5's for a bout a week and it was torture.

FreQ has said that when they change to replaceable cables, they will upgrade it for the people who purchased their freQ's before the change.

I know im speaking from reading reviews (many of them!) but $189 for a triple driver (specially for those of us who love bass) is worth the risk IMO.

Feb 20, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

8< {snippy symbol, I created it, I own rights, i am cool!} I'm not too sure of the track record of SuperFreQ's from a customer service standpoint. I don't want to spend a ton of money in the event something happens to a cable. Not to mention being without IEM's...I was without my M5's for a bout a week and it was torture. >8

All i can say is that Earpeace's (Livewires) CS is next to none, apart from the occasional long wait for email replys. John is a great guy too.

LIVEWIRES! They look far better, and although they cost a bit more i believe it is worth it. The difference in the 3rd driver may not be huge either, but naturally i guess you want to see!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back