Going Balanced -- Singlepower Harmony XLR
Mar 29, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #46 of 65
Can you tell me more about this amp ?

I have MPX3 slam and think going balanced in near future. Supra Extreme XLR or SDS-XLR for me (but I have more in head something around 5000-6000$) will fit more in my budget. :xf_cool:

Are you saying the transparency is better to your supra extreme ?

It's a amp and headphone amp ? the only complain it's have back XLR connector ?

If for 4000-5000$ I can have something very very good and not have to land 10-20k$ on SDS-XLR will be very interesting.

panyncor;4010001 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I get REALLY inspired to get behind there and unhook my system I will get shots of the back. Until then this will have to do. it is small, and very well built. It is two boxes combined by the front and back plates. PSU and amp section. it has replaced the $7K Ayre K-1XE in my system and is better than it, and offerings from Aesthetix, BAT, Musical Fidelity, and Audio Research preamps I have had in my system before it. the only two I liked better were the SDS-XLR $19K, and the VTL 7.5 $13.5K. I cant wait until the custom tubed preamp Mikhail is building to get here! The remote controls everything (mute, inputs, volume) and the volume is a 100 position stepped attenuater. If you want to use headphones on this model you have to use the XLR outputs on the back. It is also a great headphone amp. The best I have owned Except for my SDS-XLR.

2248234TheSystem11.073.JPG

Thanks for the pictures, Tom -- looks very sweet. Was that a custom color request from you or are they blue by default? I take it that the Harmony can come in any variety of color, and I'm presuming the same is true of the other solid state options.

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #47 of 65
pompon;4010619 said:
Can you tell me more about this amp ?

I have MPX3 slam and think going balanced in near future. Supra Extreme XLR or SDS-XLR for me (but I have more in head something around 5000-6000$) will fit more in my budget. :xf_cool:

Are you saying the transparency is better to your supra extreme ?

It's a amp and headphone amp ? the only complain it's have back XLR connector ?

If for 4000-5000$ I can have something very very good and not have to land 10-20k$ on SDS-XLR will be very interesting.

In your price range you could get a super nice Supra-XLR, or Maestro-XLR. I have sent you a PM.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #48 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by panyncor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the default power supply, it would have been more than the GS-X and less than the Apache. With the upgraded power supply, it's a bit more than the Apache.

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe that thing is over $3k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they aren't, but there are much worse values when it comes to headphone amplifiers out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Around $4K

value is subjective.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #50 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
value is subjective.

Indeed it is. I was simply expressing my opinion, just like everyone else, including you.

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #51 of 65
^^ i just find it amusing how the prices of SP amps don't phase certain individuals, yet the prices of other comparably (or even lower) priced amps cause an uproar.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #52 of 65
Different people value different things. That leads to people having different ideas with regards to value (ie: what is a good ora bad value).

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #53 of 65
Price and value are a different thing. Something can be high priced and but have poor value and vice versa. Where people draw the line is indeed subjective, but that price and value are different is not.

Apr 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #54 of 65
if you are comparing balanced opamp designs against discrete or tube based point 2point designs they are in different classes and discrete/tube designs should cost more. Quote:

^^ i just find it amusing how the prices of SP amps don't phase certain individuals, yet the prices of other comparably (or even lower) priced amps cause an uproar.

Apr 4, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #55 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you are comparing balanced opamp designs against discrete or tube based point 2point designs they are in different classes and discrete/tube designs should cost more.

Without having heard all the different options, including the opamp-based designs, I can't make claims about what sounds better. It's important to keep an open mind, and I would love to make a careful side-by-side comparison. However, I'm persuaded by the proposition above and have let it guide my decision-making. To each his own.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

when do you expect to receive your amp?

We settled on a couple enhancements today -- adding a preamp output (not expensive; I should have chosen it initially) and moving the RCA/XLR input switch. It shouldn't cause too much of a delay, though. Assuming I don't make any more change requests
rolleyes.gif
, the build will be finished in about two weeks.

Jun 12, 2008 at 9:46 AM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

I find it amusing that some people would spend almost as much as the SP offering and get something average.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back