Going Balanced: DAC1 + NX-33 vs. HeadRoom Desktop
Jan 3, 2008 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

packet

New Head-Fier
Let me start out by saying that I'm new to this whole head/audiophile thing, but I'm quickly being sucked in. I currently have a pair of HD650s (stock cabling) and a HeadRoom Total Bithead that I've been having some issues with. I'm looking to upgrade to a serious headphone rig, and from what I have read, balanced is the way to go.

I'm currently looking in to getting either a HeadRoom Desktop Balanced amp w/ the Home DAC or a Benchmark DAC1 USB feeding a Rudistor NX-33. Does anyone have experience with these setups and the HD650s? Or any other headphone for that matter.

I'm also looking for input on XLR cables for the 650s. Is it really worth paying 200% more for the Cardas cables over the HeadRoom Stock $100 cables? Or any other third party cables for that matter.

Jan 3, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 4
Usually separate unit is better, but they cost alot.
NX-33 and DAC-1 is highly regarded here, I'm sure they will perform very well. While you willing to spent so much money on the hardware, why not you invest in some good cable to accompany the setup?

Is it really worth paying 200%? that's depend on your preference, sometimes recabling change the headphone sound signature, either better or worse you will be the one who judge
smily_headphones1.gif

Remember, you will need to invest in some good interconnect cable, and Power cable too! Check Blue Jeans cable for great IC cables at most value price.

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 4
the costs between those two (HR desktop and DAC1 + NX33) aren't even close. if you have the budget, i would get the DAC1 and then leave the decision to be between the amps. 6moons did a nice comparison review of them. i would start there. however, given the dollar v. euro, i would probably get the HR model. the latter even if you add the stepped attenuator - which i would - comes to $1200; w/o it, it is $1000. the NX33 is $1400.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by packet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also looking for input on XLR cables for the 650s. Is it really worth paying 200% more for the Cardas cables over the HeadRoom Stock $100 cables? Or any other third party cables for that matter.

There definitely is a difference between the stock cables (650 or otherwise) and third party cables. From my experiences, these differences can sometimes be quite great.

Much has been said about whether these differences even exist or are just placebo. I can only say trust your ears and decide based on your budget.

If you really cannot detect a difference, get the cheapest cable that gets the job done and spend the extra money on music.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back