Going back to the drawing board / looking into new headphones (again)
Feb 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones in the 100-300 dollar range. What would be good for general purpose listening, for headphones that would only be used in my bedroom (not portable use)? I listen to mostly metal. Just think extreme sounds, and you get the picture. I want something that doesn't make music that isn't metal sound unbalanced though.

-Original OP redacted, because I was getting sick of looking at it; it was stupid anyway-

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 43
I found the sr-60/80 to be very good value. You want your music raw and aggressive? Then grado is for you, I guess.

But how do you want your 'phone in the first place?

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 43
Quote:
I found the sr-60/80 to be very good value. You want your music raw and aggressive? Then grado is for you, I guess.

But how do you want your 'phone in the first place?

I guess I don't want my headphones to suit one style of music more than another. If this was mario cart, and I was choosing a car, I wouldn't choose the bowser car, which has mor power, or the luigi car, which is speeder (with less control), or the fricken princess peach car; I would choose the mario car, because it has the most balanced stats. So if there are headphones that are just good for everything, that's what I'm going for.

I want clarity, and durability. Right now, I just want something that's a step or two above my G35 gaming headphones. Those ones are more about the features, like the microphone and dials on the side (which gets annoying because if I accidentally hit one of the dials it sometimes fasts forwards or replays songs). I could post a picture, but I don't need to; the headphones have some major damage. I whipped them across my room and it severed one of the ear phones off, leaving only the wire that transfers sound. I was able to tape them back on, and they still work (as good as they ever have). I definitely will treat these with more care, because these will be something I actually give a little more of a crud about. 

I'm not sure how I'm 'supposed' to enjoy the sound of specialty headphones. I kind of just want something that's not specialty, but something that's the best value I can get. Aren't the audiotechnica and AKG headphones really highly recommended on forums like /g/?

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 43
There are MANY headphones, and I suggest you get something entry level, because I don't think you know which kind of sound you prefer. You probably have to learn.

The grado's could be a choice
The sennheiser hd558/598 also
Beyerdynamic DT-880/990
Shure SRH-840

The list is pretty much endless

The best thing is still to audition some...

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:
There are MANY headphones, and I suggest you get something entry level, because I don't think you know which kind of sound you prefer. You probably have to learn.

The grado's could be a choice
The sennheiser hd558/598 also
Beyerdynamic DT-880/990
Shure SRH-840

The list is pretty much endless

The best thing is still to audition some...

I'm not "auditioning" headphones. Last time I ordered a pair and I decided I didn't like them, returning them cost me money, returning the dac amp came with a restocking fee, and return shipping costs. That really blew, especially because I have no income and am digging pretty deep into my savings account.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 43
By auditioning I mean to try them before you buy, ofc

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 43
Let me ask you this....when you stretch your headphone cable across your room...do you rotate the cord and play jump rope with those coming in?
Sorry...no funds + headphone hobby + fussy taste isn't a very good combination.
Good Luck!

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 43
Quote:
Let me ask you this....when you stretch your headphone cable across your room...do you rotate the cord and play jump rope with those coming in?
Sorry...no funds + headphone hobby + fussy taste isn't a very good combination.
Good Luck!

I don't want a hobby. What headphones can I get for my budget? Isn't there just all around good headphones for general purposes? 

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 43
The problem with headphones is that its more subjective than nearly anything you can have an opinion on.
One man's trash is another man's end-game.
Every headphone (when taken generally) has SOME kind of drawback and its up to you to decide if you can hear (or if you care about)  the said drawback and enjoy every other part of the headphone.

Some time ago i also wanted an all-round good headphone and went for the HD598's in the end, people scorn them for lacking bass but i dont mind, therefore they are ideal for me.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 43
If you have a Guitar Center near you, go in and listen to the Beyer DT880 and DT990s. You said your brother has the Dt770s, so you likely know what those ones sound like.

For cord length, you could always make/buy an extension cable if you need one.

Another popular recommendation is the Sennheiser HD650 and HD600, but I don't know their prices to see if they're in your price range.

Another thing to note, though, is that some headphones really need an amp to really shine. A Xonar DG will work for some, but others will need more.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 43
I just don't want to see any more cynical screwing posts like that 2wheelfan just made. That's really annoying.

I have taken some new things into consideration. I probably want headphones that are regarded as being good for extreme music. If they don't sound too unbalanced for other music too, then that's good. However, I don't know why any headphones wouldn't be good for any other music. I have a portable pare of headphones, the bose AE2 and they have worked for me, for all kinds of music, with no failings. If there's a headphone that will be satisfying that would excellent. I just want an entry level pare of headphones, for use only in my bedroom, to use for until they turn to dust, or until I do. So if that's possible, that's great. I have all the time in the world. Please though, if I annoy you, and you have some ill will towards me, just screwing keep it to yourself.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #12 of 43
I think a lot of us here are no different from you - I certainly don't consider myself a true audiophile, I don't have $1000+ gear and I've only dabbled in mid-fi headphones. I just want the best possible sound at an affordable price.

But I'm a bit confused- you bought a $400 headphone, returned it, realized that you can't appreciate high end stuff, and now have a budget back up to $400?
As davidsh has already mentioned, the list is endless... your criteria are a bit too broad. Help us out a bit here?

I'll throw in the Q701, HFI-2400 and Denon D2000 to the list.

Only if MalveauX was here. He'd give a straightforward, no-nonsense answer like he always does.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #13 of 43
I don't know I think you're backing yourself into a corner to be honest, you say you have no money and that you're wanting to purchase good expensive headphones with your savings - yet you won't audition and you said you previously let others do the work for you and ended up with something you didn't like.

So your only option is to read, read, read and read. Do your own solid research and learn things. You will end up with a list of headphones that seem to speak to your tastes in what you're looking for. Then you'll just have to buy something and hope it's as good as you read. But I'm with the others you shouldn't go mental with this purchase especially if you might be returning it. Which is always a risk that you just are not getting around at any price.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:
I think a lot of us here are no different from you - I certainly don't consider myself a true audiophile, I don't have $1000+ gear and I've only dabbled in mid-fi headphones. I just want the best possible sound at an affordable price.

But I'm a bit confused- you bought a $400 headphone, returned it, realized that you can't appreciate high end stuff, and now have a budget back up to $400?
As davidsh has already mentioned, the list is endless... your criteria are a bit too broad. Help us out a bit here?

I'll throw in the Q701, HFI-2400 and Denon D2000 to the list.

Only if MalveauX was here. He'd give a straightforward, no-nonsense answer like he always does.

You're right, except I payed 600 dollars last time. 200 dollars less seemed like a better idea at the time, I think now maybe 100-300 would be best. I mean, I hear the difference is small between headphones anyways. Yeah, the mental part does start to get a little overwhelming. It's just that I need to put some effort into finding headphones. I mean, I don't know how I will respond to the sound of headphones, If only there was just some standard headphones that the genera; consensus is that they sound fine with anything. I mean, just about any headphones will sound fine with anything, right? So I need to find a list of 100-300 dollar headphones (the extra 100 dollars leaves room for extension cords, sound cards and stuff like that)

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 43
Fulfill your username and get a Hifiman HE300 or HE400. 
wink.gif

Looks like those were what you came from. What exactly are you looking for for the sound signature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back