Going back to cheap earbuds/canalphones. Whats >mx400
Feb 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

johnanderson

100+ Head-Fier
So after experimenting and finding a good solution for my home listening needs my attention is now turned to my portable use. I've been using my mx400 out of either my x5 or ipod for 7 years now(yes these earbuds are that old). I've done everything imaginable to these earbuds, from dropping them into water to snagging them on ever possible edge and they just keep on ticking. I've finally decided to upgrade them so I'm looking for a cheap alternative. My im716's are out since they are so microphonic that I can't stand them. I also dont like wearing my ksc75's since they stand out too much. So far I've found the following:

Skullcandy Smokin Buds: $10
JVC Marshmellows: $10
Maximo im490: $15

I prefer to keep the price under $20 since these are going to get abused just like my poor mx400. Are there any sq improvements in these choices over my mx400? If not then I'm just going to keep my earbuds and see how long it takes me to destroy them
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 10
If u can increase your budget to around $40 max, then get Ep630 or JBL 220.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 10
The only one of the four I have and/or listened to is the Marshmallows (HA FX-33). If you burn them in for 100+ hours then they sound pretty decent for the price. I haven't had mine very long but they look like pretty sturdy construction. I think they'll take a pretty good beating and keep giving you good service.

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 10
For under $20, the Marshmallow (JVC HA-FX33) is your best bet, and if you can find it at that price ($20-$25), the HA-FX55 is another good option.

Feb 24, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #9 of 10
Just grabbed a pair of marshmallows today at circuit city and I have to say for $10 they are definitely worth it. A lot better than the mx400 but a bit muddier than my ksc75's. The fact that they isolate noise so well is an added bonus. I'll have to burn them in with pink noise for a while but for now I can't complain. Maybe down the road I'll do the Kramer mod on these.

Feb 25, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just grabbed a pair of marshmallows today at circuit city and I have to say for $10 they are definitely worth it. A lot better than the mx400 but a bit muddier than my ksc75's. The fact that they isolate noise so well is an added bonus. I'll have to burn them in with pink noise for a while but for now I can't complain. Maybe down the road I'll do the Kramer mod on these.

John:

If you find the Marshmallow's stock tips a problem as many have (me included), don't forget that Shure tips (I think E2C size) and UE tips fit readily. I'm curently using UE tips, and am very happy.

$10 at Circuit City, eh? Drat, I was looking at a Circuit City last week wondering if I needed anything. Didn't bother to go in. Would have bought a second pair of MMs for $10. Don't expect to be making that 2+ hour one-way trip anytime soon.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back