Going back for another undergraudate degree. Foolish?
Mar 9, 2005 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Patrickhat2001

1000+ Head-Fier
Yeah, I goofed up. I graduated in a field that I know I didn't want to pursue (Psychology, if you must know) but I thought I may as well finish it and see what life is like in the working world. Now it is increasing evident that I love business and should have been a business major. I am commited and wish to go back to school to pursue a business degree but I wonder; should I spend the next two years pursuing an undergrad degree (likely to be either accounting, economics or marketing)? Or should I just jump ship right now and go to grad school? I'm a little worried that I may not have enough accademic experience, in business, to survive grad school. Should I worry about such a thing?

Has anyone else been in a similar situation or know someone who has? I'm just feeling around for some opinions.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 22
1. Sure undergraduate is about learning, but it is also like camp, and at a certain point you're too old for camp (there are important exceptions that prove the rule). Repeating undergradutate might make sense for a segue into medicine, but business?

2. Pyschology is one of those "could mean anything" majors vis-à-vis a grad school application. Especially for a business school application. I can imagine a pretty easy narrative linking the too, but

3. that being said, MBA programs prefer people with work experience, and

4. that being said, plenty of people are successful in business (or in life) without a business degree.

So my rec is skip the tuition and get some work under your belt. Then evaluate your options (use that psychology information).

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 22
Jump straight to grad school but if you are truly unfamiliar hit the core undergrad courses for a few quarters. I am assuming that when you say that you love the business you have work experience under your belt...otherwise you are pretty unqualified to make that statement (IMO). I've heard of people who've succeeded in med school without going through the entire undergrad process as well (they hit the core classes however, and nail the MCAT and interviews and what have you). My older sister is jumping straight to a masters in CS the same as me but without undergrad experience or even IT work experience, and thats not easy.

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 22
A business degree is kind of vague too, and just like a psychology degree it won't necessarily land you a job. If you're going to invest the time and money in another degree, look for something that is more likely to help you get to where you want to be.

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by timo_nyc
plenty of people are successful in business (or in life) without a business degree.

Agreed. But if you want to work in a 'business' section of a firm (as opposed to starting your own business), some acct, econ and finance principles may be beneficial. Of course that doesn't mean going full fledge to grad school, a few select courses would be enough. If I were you I'd get a job in 'business' area while taking some classes and go for grad school much later when it was felt necessary.

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 22
Be aware that without work experience it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to get into a good MBA program.

I agree with the other posters - going for another bachelor's degree would not be time well spent.

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 22
My dad graduated from Georgia Tech with a BS in Mech E. After doing some work in Chicago, my dad decided that he did not want to do this for a living. So he went to Northwestern's grad school and got his MBA. So I know of one case where someone wanted to switch gears and did not go back to the start. I think it's up to your dedication to play catch up and you're ability to going back to being a full time student (my dad tried the night school but the progress was too slow and finally had to quit working and go full time).

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 22
If you go the MBA route, you'll have to take some filler coursework at most schools. I'd advise doing some of that coursework prior to applying.

It's not impossible (but it can be difficult) to get into a good program without significant work experience. That said, if your grades and test scores are very good, that shouldn't be an issue. Just be sure about what it is that you want to accomplish when you go through the interviewing process.

One final note: I was another of those folks with a liberal arts degree for undergrad (economics) who ended up going back to school later. I did have work experience (sales), but it's not like my experience stood out. I did manage to get accepted into one of the top programs in the country...and didn't take the option. Life tends to intervene...my wife wasn't crazy about relocating to Philly, and I would have spend $50K+ in tuition and such for two years...and would have to forego the salary for that period.

I went to a local program with a decent reputation, did the full-time student thing for about a year, and finished up going part time. I figure I'm about $80K ahead of the game for doing it that way, and I'm satisfied with my current career path.

Hope this helps...good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 22
take some summer courses/do some reading on your own. Don't go through the process again... grab you an MBA.

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 22
Just an echo for what has been said. I know a couple of MBA students who graduated with psychology degrees, so it isn't an overly bizarre jump. (Actually it is a pretty obvious one, the better you understand someone the more money you can make off them). My advice is to get out there and get some experience for a while and take a few econ/business classes at a CC or something.

Oddly enough that is the tactic one of my friends used to transition to clinical psychology and he got in to a decent program.

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 22
Another echo of what has already been said. MBA programs are not necessarily designed for people with business undergrads. You can succeed with any undergrad degree. They will teach you much of the background you need during the first year. If you are going to dedicate another 2 years of your life to school, an MBA seems like the only way to go.

Like others said, however, if you want to get into a good B-School several years of work experience are all but required. I would recommend trying to get a job in a field you are interested in (business). If you are still interested then consider the MBA. Another bachelor degree would be a waste of your time & money.

Mar 10, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrickhat2001
Yeah, I goofed up. I graduated in a field that I know I didn't want to pursue (Psychology, if you must know) but I thought I may as well finish it and see what life is like in the working world. Now it is increasing evident that I love business and should have been a business major. I am commited and wish to go back to school to pursue a business degree but I wonder; should I spend the next two years pursuing an undergrad degree (likely to be either accounting, economics or marketing)? Or should I just jump ship right now and go to grad school? I'm a little worried that I may not have enough accademic experience, in business, to survive grad school. Should I worry about such a thing?

Has anyone else been in a similar situation or know someone who has? I'm just feeling around for some opinions.

Ah.... sounds so much like my life right now its sad....
rolleyes.gif

So anyway, I just recently got my degree in psychology too. And what do you know, there are like no jobs whatsoever for a BA in psychology.
eek.gif
Don't get me wrong, I loved psychology and don't regret majoring in it, but in all practically it's just not helping me get a job. So right now I'm applying to law school. I've always been interested in law but just never thought about making a living off of it.

My story is a little different from yours right here, but I will still give the same advise that I got. I didn't really learn much from the books and lectures of undergraduate education. Most of my learning came from outside the school setting.

Therefore, I do not think you should go back and get another undergrad degree. If you need to take some more classes go to a city/community/Jr. college and get that taken care of. Work on the side so you have work experience, which as some people already mentioned is very important when applying to a MBA program.

When you feel you have enough weight for a good application go for it. Good luck!
icon10.gif

Mar 10, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 22
Echoing a lot of what was said already. Don't go back for another undergrad degree if business is your next focus. An MBA would be the way to go to do the career switch into business.

My advice as a previous MBA grad is to figure out WHY you want a MBA (other than just a career switch) and WHICH area of business you would want to focus on. I can tell you from the get go (as an alumni interviewer), that without a clear focus as to WHY you are looking to get an MBA, top-tier business schools won't consider you as a candidate. This is because, like undergrad, there's more to a good MBA program than just your course material, you'll be meeting peers that will provide you with a network of opportunities and support during and after you graduate. An MBA program is typically a substantial financial and time investment, so it's not a decision to take lightly.

Most people approach the application process with a goal in mind along with a business focus, e.g. "I want to become a marketing manager", "I want to become an investment banker", "I want to become a consultant", etc. A good program will help you focus and achieve those goals. You're certainly not locked into your decision once you get in, as many people shift gears once they get their hands dirty, but without a goal and vision, it's difficult to get in the door.

As for having a psychology degree, providing you have some achievements to speak for during your post-undergrad years, the degree can be an asset to your application process. Just today, I had a meeting with a consultant who was a professor of psychology at various top universities before jumping into the private sector as a consultant. He doesn't have a business background at all, but is well respected for being able to bring a different perspective to the table and to apply his psychology background to move his clients' businesses forward.

There are other ways into the business world WITHOUT having to get an MBA. If you're interested in going into organizational development, organizational behavior, or HR, pickup the phone and call some people in the field to do some "informational interviews". They can help point the way to how you can enter those fields at the entry level and learn as you go. Consider it "paid tuition". Also, marcom/PR (marketing communications and public relations) people I've met have mostly come from a variety of backgrounds that you wouldn't have thought "business" when you find out what they are.

There's lots of opportunities out there. Since this is a major shift for you, take your time to figure it out before you jump.

EDIT:
How many years of professional experience do you have currently? Top programs expect at least 3-5 years depending on your level of achievements during your professional life. If you're qualified there, don't worry about not having the academic background, as long as you're a motivated achiever. We had a pianist in my class who is a high achiever and ALWAYS was able to pull her weight in team projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back